Oman...ideas for active travel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2012, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are considering Oman for a 7 to 10 day trip. Normally, we like to be active (have done some Backroads & other bike trips) but that can include hiking, biking, snorkeling as well as culture. We have been to Morocco so have done the tent in the sand but wondered what we can experience throughout the country. Do they have any sand skiing or surfing like Matt Lauer recently did in Namibia. Please provide any thoughts or good resources.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 01:21 AM

wikitravel.org/en/Oman

There years back was ok prefer visitmorocco.com
Forts Sand dunes nice souk pretty clean and safe
for an Arab country they will actually give you
a ticket for having a dirty car.If adventurous
you will like it probably but the high Atlas
in Maroc is my fav particularly in the summer months.
seat61.com/morocco

Good luck!
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 01:24 AM

Hiking Wadi Rum is a place of dramatic beauty which ... Budget travel; Cultural; Cycling holidays; Family ...
https://www.responsibletravel.com/co...a-and-wadi-rum Petra/Wadi Rum where Lawrence of Arabia was filmed another of my favs. Usually stay at the Movenpick there.

Beautiful and amazing history.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 01:27 AM

The 5-star Mövenpick Resort Petra is located directly at the entrance to the ancient city of Petra.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/jo/moev...-petra.en.html
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 02:51 AM
peg

There is sand surfing in Oman, I think you might have to go through a tour operator to organize it though. I have done it a couple of times here in the UAE, and it's a lot of fun, but climbing up those sand dunes will wear you out. You can also try kitesurfing, diving and snorkeling, wadi treks & swimming, and there are hikes up in the mountains. I used this tour company the first time I went to Oman, but even if you don't want a tour company you can get some good ideas by clicking through their website tours
http://www.sunsandtour.com/
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for ideas....my husband and I have traveled extensively throughout the world and are working on our next "tier" of places to vist. So we have already done Morocco, Turkey, etc. but nothing else in the middle east area. If you have other suggestions, please let me know.
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 05:08 AM

Some posters here have written about Jordan, not Oman.

Here some things for active travellers:

- There are the sand dunes in the Wahiba Desert with horse riding, camel riding, hiking, sandsurfing, nature excursions, ATV riding and the full range of desert-related activities. At least at our camp, the Arabian Oryx Camp Wahiba (which is otherwise not recommendable), they offered that.

- There is excellent diving and snorkeling on the coast and also speedboating. Marina Bandar Al Rowdha south of Muscat would be a good place for sea-related activities, but there are many more. For just swimming and snorkeling Fins Beach is very nice (but it is an undeveloped beach).

- There are endless hiking opportunities in the mountains and in the wadis. In the wadis you combine hiking and swimming in the crystal-clear, warm mountain streams with doctorfish. Two of the best places are Wadi Shab and Wadi Bani Khalid.

- Also very recommendable for nature lovers is a nightly visit of the sea turtle nests at Raz al Jinz. They have one evening tour around 10 p.m. and an early morning tour.

Otherwise, Oman has those beautiful historical castles, some of them restored, others still ruined. There are also some traditional villages (mostly deserted) which can be visited. Some of them require some hiking to reach them. Do not miss the early morning market in Nizwa, one of the most authentic experiences in Oman.
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 08:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
traveler1959: This is a nearly four year old thread . . .