Gorrilas, Massai Mara , Botswana

Mar 8th, 2006, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Gorrilas, Massai Mara , Botswana

Would appreciate any feedback on our itinery for Sept 2006. Two years ago I did ngoro ngoro crater and serengeti wilderbeast migration with my son. This time taking my wife . The plan is 2 day gorrila trek in Rwanda staying at Gorillas nest lodge.
Next is 3 days in Masai mara at a place called mara explorere camp-I beleive in Sept that is where the migration is.
Next to Botswana for 4 days at Chitabe campwhich is along side th Moremi game r eserve. We tried to get into Mombo but it was full---has anyone stayed at Chitabe and is it good.
Next to Chobe at Chobe Chilwero for 2 days
Next to Victoria falls at victoria falls hotel and then finish in CApetown for 4 nights.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mooky
Mar 8th, 2006, 05:37 AM

Aside from the fact that you'll have a long travel day from Kenya to Botswana, its a great trip. I stayed at Gorillas Nest when I visited PNV, and its comfortable and close to the park. I also stayed at Chitabe on my trip to the delta, and saw lots of cats, wild dogs and all sorts of other stuff. Sounds like a nice trip.

If someone can put that trip together with relatively painless transfers between parks and countries, it will be outstanding.

Michael
Mar 8th, 2006, 05:53 AM
santharamhari

Great choices and variety, as long as you dont mind the transfers......

Awesome!!!

Hari

Mar 8th, 2006, 02:20 PM

I just got back from southern Africa and stayed at Chitabe. It's a really nice camp. Even though we were there in the rainy season with high grasses and thick bush, we saw leopards twice and lions 3 times (as well as lots of other wildlife.) One lioness was in a tree. You should have great sightings there in September!

Tell the managers, Ryan, Celine and Shaa "Hi" from the birthday girl. It was really special to be able to celebrate my birthday in Africa. They put on a birthday party for me, complete with cake! Celine is from Normandy, so the food is superb.
Mar 8th, 2006, 02:26 PM

The Mara is AMAZING! It is classic Kenya safari. Are you going at the end or beginning of September? I am just trying to figure out if it will be totally dry then.

The Rwanda gorilla tracking will be beyond amazing. Your room will be freezing in the Gorilla's Nest hotel, so have heavy pajamas or sleep fully clothed. They have no laundry facilites so don't even think about it.

oh and treat yourself to one of those carved gorillas after you've done your second day!
Mar 8th, 2006, 02:48 PM
sandi

Mara Explorer camp is perfect for the Migration. Excellent choice.

Mar 8th, 2006, 03:10 PM

You are certainly hitting some highlights of the continent! I think it is a brilliant plan!

Rwanda. Good you're doing 2 treks. I stayed at Gorilla Forest Camp too in 2004. There's a lovely flock of crowned cranes that frequent the grounds for some good closeup photo ops.

Mara in September. You'll be right where the action is!

Chitabe. I was there in Aug 2005 and loved my stay. You may actually have a better chance at wild dogs in Chitabe than Mombo. There was a denning pack with pups when I was there.
Since my stay, another pack has been located, according to the newsletters. Saw a leopard a day. It is known for cheetah, but I didn't see any. Great lion activity. Many bat earred fox and my first baby honey badger. African wildcats almost every night drive. You can drive to the Moremi border and get a feel for that terrain. That's where the hippos were and herds of zebra (Chitabe means place of the zebra) and wildebeest.

If you are staying 4 nights you may wish to consider the walking trails camp. You walk to a raised platform and spend the night under netting. A marvelous and relaxing experience.

Chobe. Never stayed at Chilwero, but thoroughly enjoyed Chobe. You'll have some excellent elephant activity. Do a sunset cruise on the Chobe River for amazing wildlife.

Victoria Falls Hotel. Great choice to see the falls and a classic establishment. Probably the shortest walk to the falls of any place.

Capetown. No experience but a nice contrast to finish things up.

Now a question for you: What flight are you taking out of Nairobi to get to Southern Africa?

Here's another message to deliver, if you wish. You'll have to start taking notes! Tell Celine, Ryan and Shaa hi from the woman who cancelled the remainder of her trip to remain at Chitabe for 8 nights. That also tells you what I thought of the place.

Mar 8th, 2006, 08:17 PM
santharamhari

Wow!!! So Celine and Shaa are at Chitabe now??? Great people....i met Celine at Kings Pool in 2004 and Shaa at Jack's camp same trip. Tell them Hari, from India says hello.......

Have a great trip......

Hari

Mar 9th, 2006, 03:25 AM

Hi mooky,

Can only comment on Chobe Chilwero. I was there in September 2001 and it was a very luxurious camp. I was there with a niece who was 12 at the time and we absolutely loved the gameviewing by boat, but I think I remember that was every other gamedrive. The land gamedrives were OK, but the river was fantastic. The number of eles is amazing. One of the few places where I have seen sable, it was a single bull, but it was a great sighting.
We also went to Victoria Falls that trip, but only stayed long enough for the Flight of Angels and a walk around the falls, from the Zimbabwe side. Also a fantastic experience.
When you travel from Australia, with those dreadful flying hours, then you need to make the most of your African time. I am guessing you are from Australia with that email address, as am I. I do stay longer at fewer places, but I seem to be the odd man out.

Have a fantastic trip!

Kind regards,
Kaye

Search this Thread