Language in Tanzania

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Language in Tanzania

What language so they speak in Tanzania? Is is Swahili? If possible, I'd like to learn a little of the language before my safari in September.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 08:11 AM

Yes, Ki-Swahilli.
Very precicely. Unlike Kenya where there is much more slang and bending of the rules of grammer.

I'm just learning.... but also peppering it with a bit of Sheng!

I think if you said "Uko freshi lakini?" you'd get a blank look from a person from Tanzania.

You get a lot of respect and smiles even for a small effort in the language.

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 08:12 AM

Hi Nevermind,

There are over 120 languages in Tanzania. Swahili and English are the official languages and knowing Swahili you’d be able to talk with most Tanzanians.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 08:41 AM

I signed up for the Rosetta Stone online Swahili course. Before I got really flaky and even forgot my password, I thought it was pretty good for an online course, though not really tourist Swahili. It's sort of aimed at really learning the language from the ground up.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Right now I'm working on Pimsleur German for a trip in May/June. I'm finding it easy going, but I took German in school (many, many, many years ago), so this is really a brush up. I like the Pimsleur and notice that they offer Swahili.

I've investigated Rosetta Stone (for German) and liked what I saw. You have a good point, Leely, that Rosetta seems more academic.

Right now I'm leaning toward Pimsleur for the Swahili, just so I can learn a few phrases. I am, however, open to persuasion from anyone who has strong opinions of one course over another!

It is hard to imagine going to another country and not even trying to say some basic things in their language.