Gorilla trek and the big 5 safaris

Feb 3rd, 2005, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Gorilla trek and the big 5 safaris

Does anyone know which company(s) offer gorilla trekking and the big 5 in Africa? We want to do both. Are the companies reputable? Reasonable? Is there a relatively inexpensive way to do this? Also what is the best time to see either gorillas or the 'big 5'?
Feb 4th, 2005, 02:54 AM

The big five? Like they can be brought out for you just like that? No company will guarantee sightings of the big 5 - even more so "the gorillas".

But if you want inexpensive you might check out some of the adventure travel companies. Note this does not necessily involve camping but most certainly won't include staying in 5* hotels.

If you are just starting out on your research you might like to check out www.explore.co.uk - one of the best armchair travel sites around.

It may give you some ideas.
Feb 4th, 2005, 11:06 AM

No guarantees and no reputable company will guarantee you will see anything. However, everything I have been to the Serengeti and Ngorngoro Crater I have seen all the biggies. I have always traveled with Thomson Safari's and they have everything from tents to luxury accomodations. I have never been on a gorilla trek but I think they offer those as well. I highly recommend them.
Feb 8th, 2005, 08:36 PM

You're being a bit tough on Kitti, I didn't see her ask for a guarantee. Anyway, if you are looking for the closest thing to a guarantee of the Big 5, that's probably Mala Mala next to Kruger in South Africa, I think most people see the Big 5 within 2 days there. It is pretty expensive but that was my first trip to Africa and my honeymoon (have since returned 3 times) and Mala Mala is like the African bush meets rock concert. If you aren't in such a hurry, or you want to combine with gorillas, northern Tanzania is my favorite; yes you might miss leopard but what you do so you will see tons of.

Gorillas are virtually a sure thing at Bwindi in Uganda. Permits were $250 per day paid to the government. It is a beautiful park too and there are lots of tour companies who go there. Cheapest way to do both countries is get a flight to Entebbe, UG with a (hopefully free or cheap) stopover in Nairobi, then use the stopver to take a tourist bus to Arusha. Depending on the time of year, a Kenya park might be just as good as Tanzania.

We usually try to book with local companies, which can be found in travel books and online. Much cheaper than using US or European companies who usually just are acting as agents for these same local companies.

Search this Thread