Gordon's Bay, Capetown

Dec 13th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Gordon's Bay, Capetown

We are a couple planning a 2-3 week trip to the Cape, in early February and are intending to rent an apartment or house for most/all of the time. We want to relax, do day trips to the wine country, an animal reserve etc. Have been corresponding with a British organisation called Fleewinter, who seem quite professional, who have recommended Gordonís Bay, east of Cape Town. We live in a small French village, and are looking for something a little livelier, but not city Ė beach, with restaurants and shops to walk to. Does anyone know Fleewinter, or Gordonís Bay? Or have any comments on this as a plan?
Dec 13th, 2005, 12:47 PM

I don't know the operator/organisation you are referring to, however I do know Gordons Bay.

It is a well popsitioned town for excursions into the winlands and a day trip to the peninsula, however I have always found that part of the Cape a little sedentary and perhaps somewhat concervative. I would suggest that if you prefer a livelier area that Hermanus might be better. It is a little further a field, but has more of a holiday feel to it: I do not know about apartment rentals there though.

your descripton of what you desire matches a little more with Hermanus than Gordons Bay. I sence that you are looking for a mediteranean type places with bistros along the beach front? If that is the case, you have limited opportunity in the Cape for the same vibe, I suspect the closest you'll get is Camps Bay.
Dec 13th, 2005, 03:35 PM

Susan,

Gordons Bay should fit into what you are wanting to do other than I have no idea where you are going to find any animal reserve in the Western cape region.

Personally I would not suggest Gordons Bay as your number spot in that I think that Muizenberg will be a better place for you to stay.

Muizenberg probably has the best swimming beach in the Cape area. It is a sleepy little village which is now awakening to the dreaded sounds of developers developing the beachfront. This wont affect you if you stay in the town. You could use Muizenberg as a base to explore the winelands in that you can take the Macassar Road to the winelands from Muizenberg. Furthermore you will be close to Cape Point and all the places on the way to Cape Point such as Kalk Bay, Fish Hoek and Simonstown. You also wont starve in the terrain as there are quite a number of good restaurants to have dinner. Most important is the fact that you will be able to swim at Muizenberg in that the waters will be about 20C = 72F.

Hope this helps.

Have a wonderful stay in Cape Town.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Dec 13th, 2005, 11:16 PM

Susan,

While I love Gordons Bay, the criteria you have for a "non-city", lively village with beach, restaurants and shops... well, it perfectly matches Hout Bay!

The Republic of Hout Bay is a village 20 minutes South of Cape Town, has a beautiful beach, lots of shops and restaurants, a quaint harbour, wine farms closeby, the World of Birds (largest bird park in Africa, with other small animals too), beautiful hiking trails and many more tourist attractions.

The added advantage is that you will be very close to all the Cape Peninsula's tourist attractions, while you are staying in a smaller village!

Hope to see you here!

Search this Thread