Oct honeymoon to S.A. itinerary questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found out about the wealth of info on FODORS.com but unfortunately I have to decide my South Africa itinerary in the next 48 hours. Any feedback is appreciated. My fiance and I are less interested in creature comforts and more interested in seeing the land and people. We'd like to see the wildlife as well as get a taste for the larger continent of Africa if possible and maybe surf somewhere. We've got about 18/19 days.

Here's what the travel agent's proposing:

19 OCT arrive in Cape Town, stay 4 days in De Waterkant Village

22 OCT arrive in Cape Winelands, one night in Franshhoek valley near Boschendal

23 OCT arrive in Calitzdorp on route 62, stay one night

24 OCT arrive Knysna on the Garden Route, stay 3 days (this is the part I'm least sure about--it doesn't seen that remarkable on our itinerary description)

27 OCT more Garden route until OCT 30th in Misty Mountain reserve, Tsitsikamma (also not so sure about this part)

30 OCT to 2 NOV Limpopo province near Kruger park

2 NOV to 5 NOV overnight in Umlani Bushcamp

fly home!

What do you think?
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 11:55 PM

The Garden Route is wonderful. Knysna is a great place to stay make sure you also visit Plettenberg Bay.

A Whale watching trip from Plettenberg Beach is highly recommended.

Storms River and the Tsitsikamma National Park are also great, the world’s highest bungee jump 216 meters is on the way. Take the Tree top canopy tour at Storms River.

Misty Mountain Reserve is in a great location overlooking the Indian Ocean but I think 2 nights is plenty, Dolphin View which shares much of the premises and is next door has some great self catering chalets and is much less expensive.

For Surfing you have to visit Jefferys Bay the Supertubes is rated the 3rd best surfing beach in the world it is less than an hour from Storms River.

I would also suggest at least a night in Port Elizabeth which also has good surf conditions.

Good chance to take a Township tour and visit some excellent restaurants.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 12:03 AM

PS

You might also consider seeing the Big 5 in the Eastern Cape rather than traveling to Kruger.

The Addo Elephant National Park is less than an hour from Port Elizabeth is a big 5 reserve and has the densest Elephant Population in the world.

There are many accommodation options and numerous big 5 Game Reserves.

Shamwari being the most expensive and best “The World’s leading Safari and Conservation program” and Schotia famed for it’s lions the least expensive.

A further benefit is the area is malaria free.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 01:14 AM

riahmay,

I would suggest that 3 days instead of 4 in Cape Town would be fine seeing that you will be spending one separate day in the Cape Winelands.

I certainly would stop in at Calitzdorp while on the R62 so as to enjoy the port at BoPlaas and visit the village museum however I would rather overnight in Oudtshoorn if I were you.

Whether you stay in Calitzdorp or Oudtshoorn on the day that you travel to Knysna I would first cross over the Swartberg Pass, visit the wonderful village of Prince Albert, travel through Meiringpoort and then move on to Knysna via a drive over the fabulous Outeniqua mountains. This is a wonderful drive and may I also add that travelling over the Swartberg is a real treat too. Dont underestimate Meiringspoort either as it is like driving through a mini grand canyon. Amazing ride.

As far as Knysna is concerned I would only spend 2 nights in the town. On one of your days I would take a drive in a western direction and enjoy the beauty of the Belvedere Estate as well as places like Sedgefield and the Wilderness. On your second day I would take the time to explore the town. Many people would advise that you travel on the Outeniqua choo choo. My advice is steer clear of the event as it is a very scenic (sometimes Steam train) ride but a bit of a tourist trap in the process. The same applies to a visit onto Featherbeds Nature reserve. While the reserve is very scenic you can spend the 5 hours that you will need to visit the reserve much more fruitfully in Knysna by visiting the local village, the Heads and some of the forestry areas around Knysna like Rheenendal and a fabulous spot called Jubilee Creek where you could have a great picnic lunch (you have to supply the lunch yourself)

I would definitely not spend 3 days in the Tsitsikamma. Two days at the absolute most is what I would suggest. While in the Tsitsikamma take Colin's good advice and do the Treetop safari (http://www.treetoptour.com ) as well as visit Bloukrans Bride to watch or even partake in the bungi jumping.

If you take the above advice you will save at least two days and seeing that you place an emphasis on surfing I would then suggest that you travel on to Jeffreys Bay so as to overnight in the town and enjoy the great surfing that the beaches offer.

Thereafter I would suggest that you travel on to PE and if you have a day free I would visit the Addo Elephant Park (http://www.addoelephantpark.co.za/) in the morning as well as Schotia Game Farm in the evening. (http://www.schotia.com/) You might even consider staying over on Schotia in one of their fabulous rondavels (A great rustic experience) and catching your plane to Limpopo Province the next morning. If you do this then you will be able to release your car in PE on the morning that you leave Jeffreys Bay as the Schotia staff will collect you in PE and take your though the Addo Park as well as on the Schotia game drive. They will also take you to the airport the following morning on a very well priced package deal. This will save you a days car hire as well as petrol costs.

If you feel that you will be having enough of the animal experience in the northern parts of SA then I would suggest that you simply drive to PE from Jeffreys Bay (75 minute drive) so as to catch a flight to your next northern destination.

Hope this info reaches you timeously so as to plan your journey through our great country as efficiently as possible.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for taking the time to give me your feedback. I'm going to adjust our plans accordingly! Thanks again!