Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Good price for Tanzania Safari, Fundu Lagoon, and Zanzibar? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/good-price-for-tanzania-safari-fundu-lagoon-and-zanzibar-533448/)

sambush Jun 1st, 2005 01:33 PM

Good price for Tanzania Safari, Fundu Lagoon, and Zanzibar?

Folks, looking for a little guidance on the trip i am planning. It's in August so I want/need to lock it down now. Particulars are as follows:
Honeymoon
Already have plane ticket booked but need feedback on price quote. Price below does not include plane ticket to DAR
Aug 15th Arrive DAR. Car to Holiday Inn. Overnight
16th Fly to Arusha, Stay at Moivaro Lodge
17th travel overland private landrover to Mawe Ninga Camp.
Leave on 19th for Oduvai Tented Camp in Serengeti.
20,21 at Ronjo Flycamp Central Serengeti
22 Olduvai Tented Camp
23,24 Gibbs Farm
Fly to Fundu Lagoon on Pemba. Stay 25-30
Fly to Zanzibar. Dhow Palace 30-31
Matemwe Beach Sept 1-6 then back to DAR

Price quoted for wedded bliss as described is $9,877 total for both of us. As I said, I know it's late in the game to be booking for an August trip, so I'd like to lock this in, but I have no idea if the price is in the ballpark. If you just look at the Safari part and transport to it and away that part is $4200 for the two us which seems in line with other things I've seen. I bought the ring. Somebody give me a little advise on the honeymoon. Thanks/

w_jrich Jun 1st, 2005 08:44 PM

Sambush,

Will be on SECOND Honeymoon during the same time. Our package booked in March with Roy's is as followes, you are staying a week longer so cannot compare directly. Good Luck,Best Wishes & Safari njema

RE: 2 Pax Safari; August 2005
Rooming: 1 double
Date Program
12/08 Pick up from JRO airport off KL 569 at 20h05 & transfer to Arusha.Overnight Mt Village (BB)
13/08 To Tarangire o/n Kikoti Camp
14/08 Tarangire o/n Kikoti Camp
15/08 To Serengeti o/n Serengeti Serena Lodge
16/08 Serengeti o/n Serengeti Serena Lodge
17/08 Serengeti o/n Serengeti Serena Lodge
18/08 To Ngorongoro o/n Ngorongoro Serena Lodge
19/08 Ngorongoro o/n Ngorongoro Serena Lodge
20/08 To Arusha + 15h30 Precision Air flight to Zanzibar.Transfer to Karafuu Beach Resort - Junior suite cottage
21 & 22/08:Karafuu Beach Resort - Junior suite cottage
23/08: Transfer to Zanzibar airport for 17h05 Precision Air flight to Dar ( arrive at 17h25)

Nett Cost : US$ 2710 per person.
Costs include: 1x transfer JRO - Arusha + 1 night BB at Mt Village + 7n.8d lodge safari (park & crater fees, full board accommodation at lodges, transport in 4WD vehicle with driver/guide, bottled water(1 bottle per person per day), VAT where applicable) + + flight Arusha - Zanzibar + Return Zanzibar airport transfer + 3 nights HB at Karafuu Beach resort + flight Zanzibar - Dar ( exclude airport tax).
Costs exclude: Drinks, tips, laundry, personal toiletry requirements, insurance, visas tour & excursion in Zanzibar, airport tax and all items of a personal nature.

climbhighsleeplow Jun 1st, 2005 11:22 PM

sambush

I cannot comment on prices, but I have visited all the camps for both itineraries presented here.

Please be aware that Olduvai Camp in Aug is not the best place to be. There won't be any wildlife nearby - in fact the Maasai graze their cattle all around the camp. For game drives, you will have to drive very far to Ngorongoro or Ndutu (also sub-optimum).

The Ronjo camp is just north of Seronera and certainly a better option but is rather basic if that is what you're looking for. I have some pictures of it which I will post soon.

Mawe Ninga vs. Kikoti is a toss up. Neither is very romantic but Mawe has better views and is easier to get to in terms of game drives.

sambush Jun 2nd, 2005 05:20 AM

Thanks for the notes. I look forward to the pics. How far is Lobo? Is that a better option?

climbhighsleeplow Jun 2nd, 2005 10:47 AM

Yeah, the Lobo area is beautiful with lots of resident wildlife especially in August when game watching in the southern and western Serengeti can mean rather long drives with only occasional sightings.

A week ago, we saw a pride of 20 resident lions just 200m from the Lobo Wildlife lodge. They were seriously watching a large herd of impala and some buffalo bulls. While this lodge is nothing special, you can go for the honeymoon tent at the Migration Camp only a 45-min game drive to the West!

In this area you are likely to see hippo, lion, hyena, elephant, giraffe, buffalo and many grazers. The scenery here is beautiful with fewer people (since most focus on the Seronera area).

A combination of the Migration Camp/Lobo area and Seronera (maybe the Ronjo camp or similar) will be very good. Certainly a lot better than the Olduvai Camp/Seronera combination.

BTW, Olduvai Camp is not in the Serengeti. It is in the Ngorongoro area at least 45 minutes from the Serengeti gate.