Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Good News Kenya ban lifted (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/good-news-kenya-ban-lifted-331436/)

fastfred Jun 26th, 2003 04:25 PM

Good News Kenya ban lifted

Check this site
http://www.eastandard.net/headlines/news27062003013.htm

LizFrazier Jun 26th, 2003 06:01 PM

Oh thank you! :-d

OffToAfrica Jun 26th, 2003 07:01 PM

Excellent that the Brits have come around. Hope the US will follow suit soon. It would help set my next of kin's minds at ease about my August trip.

SusanLynne Jun 27th, 2003 05:03 AM

Hi Liz! Remember, times have changed for Americans traveling abroad. Please do not be shocked if another warning is posted before your departure, and I would beg that if there is another that you not cancel your trip. Kenya needs you and the wildebeests are awaiting your arrival .... I am still green with envy about your impending trip to Kenya, but, I am happy to report that I am in the early planning stages of my 2004 trip!! Yahoo!! Yippee!! So, in the meantime, I am going to have to live vicariously through your trip and those of others.

LizFrazier Jun 27th, 2003 08:37 AM

SusanLynne-Thanks, I won't be rash and cancel. I waited through two very bad scares. Still have two months yet. I've heard this is the biggest the migration has been in decades. Saw that here and on Serengeti Balloon Safaris site. Apparently they are only in Seronera now. I read www.ndutu.com which is where we'll be in February, and they explain the lateness of the migration. Real good report just got posted yesterday. I will remember you to the Wildebeests as I promised. Liz

SusanLynne Jun 27th, 2003 12:55 PM

Yes, Liz, you have hung in there! And you will be well-rewarded for your efforts. You will see a crossing - Kenya will not forget that you had such faith in her. As for me, I am pretty double-jointed - I could probably squeeze my way into your luggage ....

LizFrazier Jun 27th, 2003 04:04 PM

SusanLynne-
You are sooooo funny! Yes, I would love to put you in my duffel bag. You do realize I am limited to 26 lbs. don't you! :-d

SusanLynne Jun 28th, 2003 05:02 AM

Ouch, Liz. That hurt!

LizFrazier Jun 28th, 2003 05:38 AM

:'(

SusanLynne Jun 29th, 2003 04:41 AM

OK, Liz. I've done some quick calculations. With a 26 lb. limit, that means one arm and one leg can go with you on the journey ... quess I will have to wait until next year when the whole body can visit. But, hey, thanks for not rejecting the notion completely!
8-)

Sundance Jul 4th, 2003 12:10 PM

Message: Just returned from Kenya last night and will post a trip report later after the jet lag eases.
As Jan noted in her post there has been much progress with the security concerns. When I left for Amboseli from Wilson on June 15th - there airport security was extremely minimal. That has since changed dramatically - they now have baggage screening machines and check people coming and going. Kenyan airport officials are still trying to sort all of this out- and there is still room for some improvement.

Regarding "travel warnings" - keep in mind that these are much like the"potential side effects" message on medication labels - if there is a even a hint of danger - you must be informed.

Re: embassy closings- these too are very real precautions, but sometimes embassies close for "internal security checks," and for evacuation exercises, etc. For me, the sentinel event which would lead me not to v isit a country is when the Embassy actively removes its personnel out of the country. Just because the embassy is closed doesn't mean diplomatic staff have left the country - they are now working in their homes.

If you want to keep your options open and not let the US government or British government decide for you - then book on Kenya airways out of London. Or use the KLM route out of Amsterdam.

I'm not trying to minimize potential dangers or question the veracity of government issued warnings- just to take them with a "grain of salt" -- and make your own decision.
Sharon

Kavey Jul 4th, 2003 01:17 PM

Sharon, I cannot WAIT to read your full report.

Susan you are gonna have to recalculate - I'm claiming half that 26 lb limit to come along too!

Maybe we could each get our heads into Liz' luggage so we could witness the migration - I don't know how much my head weighs though - I worry that we'll leave no allowance for Liz to pack her smalls!

;)

I really hope the situation continues to get better and better before your trip Liz.

Hugs
Kavey

LizFrazier Jul 5th, 2003 05:51 AM

Okay I solved the problem. Yesterday I bought two 29" large rolling suitcases. I was thinking about our Alaska cruise but I'm sure we can get them to Nairobi at least if not the Mara. I could fit in one is how big they are. So you guys can both come with. Get your tickets to the Mara and I guess you'll need to carry oxygen with you because I'll have to check them through. But hey, friends come first with me. :-d
Thanks for the good wishes. We got a new digital camera so I should be able to email some photos if not post them someway on the web. Liz

Kavey Jul 5th, 2003 06:59 AM

He he he Liz! I guess I'll reluctantly hold off for the moment... but you know I'll be waiting to hear all about it... along with Susan and everyone else!
:D

LizFrazier Jul 5th, 2003 07:56 AM

=D>

Kavey Jul 5th, 2003 08:32 AM

PS Liz I would be happy to talk you through posting them on the web if you would like me to do that when you get back.

SusanLynne Jul 5th, 2003 12:53 PM

Hi Liz and Kavey ... I'll do whatever it takes to go on the trip. I'll sacrifice body parts, act as Liz's personal maid ... whatever! I have no pride when it comes to Africa!!! Liz, everything seems to be coming together for you and I am genuinely thrilled!! Kavey, well, what can I say? We are both nuts when it comes to Africa! Glad to be in such good company!