Good investment opportunity

Old Mar 28th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good investment opportunity

For all of us who have enjoyed Africa and perhaps would like to do something to help preserve its wildlife, here is an investment opportunity I came upon the other day. Check out this property for sale in Kenya: http://realestate.escapeartist.com/P-25157
If I had the money, I would grab it in a heartbeat!
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone even looked at this property?
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 05:02 AM
sandi

How about a "large" small-business load or on a "time-shares" basis. It sure does look good - if only!!!
But why is this up for sale?

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 05:29 AM

I definitely haved looked at it and like you, if I had the money would buy it in a heartbeat.
Another website you can find game reserves and properties for sale is:
www.wildnetafrica.co.za
along with alot of other useful info.
If only...
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 08:02 AM

Maybe we should create a Real Estate group off line from Fodors, and turn it into our own "timeshare" like safari site.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Uhoh_busted: I can be convinced to take part in your idea! Buy lottery tickets people in your respective states!! Let's save a piece of Africa!
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 09:01 AM

I looked at it but saw the price tag in the 3 millions was out of my range. I also always ask this question from a seller - why are you selling? It's always good to know.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 09:23 AM
LizFrazier

Susan-
I don't know if you want this side of the coin, but-----
First you must have a permit to move to Kenya. Permanent permits are not given out freely, if at all. Secondly, permits can be pulled on whim by the government. Thirdly, if you get a permit, you may purchase property. You can even sell it. The catch is you cannot take the money (or any money) out of the country. Kind of the good, the bad and the ugly. Liz

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi Liz! I would be willing to try and weed my way through the Kenyan bureaucracy for this place. I did buy a Powerball lottery ticket for Wednesday's drawing ... please all, keep your fingers crossed and you will have a place to stay in Kenya ... not all at the same time, of course!
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 05:03 PM
LizFrazier

Susan-

All it takes is money. No problem little rich girl.

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 05:28 PM
LizFrazier

Susan-
I've wanted to say this before and I will now without caution. You really should be visiting Botswana instead of doing Kenya again. You will be blown away. In every sense. Botswana is safer. Botswana offers much, much more with the Delta and the Kalahari. You can even work in Botswana, if you choose to move there, not so Kenya. The Botswana skies have East Africa's beat. Just no comparison. It is entirely different. You will never know till you do it. As you fly over the Delta from camp to camp, you will find your heart leaving your body and remaining there. Not a voluntary movement, just what happens. Somehow you don't mind at all. You accept that your heart will never be the same. I somehow think that even if the wildlife diminishes, Botswana is still the star in the crown.
I tried to talk Max into moving there for 6 or 7 months of the year. You'd have to meet Max to understand that problem. No can do. I would go so far as to guarantee that one day in Botswana would surpass your entire Kenya experience. I won't bring this up again. I just think you don't know what you don't know.

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 07:26 PM

Liz, I enjoyed reading your words about Botswana. You captured my feelings about South Africa and now I'm looking forward to Botswana in May even more. So, that's what happened...my heart flew out of my body while ascending and descending from camp to camp. I felt transformed and now know why. You write beautifully...thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Hi Liz! I have every intention of going to Botswana, I really do. There are just some places in Kenya and Tanzania that I must "get out of my system" before venturing to Botswana, Zambia and Namibia. For example, Meru National Park in Kenya. I must go there. I simply must. Childish of me, I know, but I must see the place where Elsa is buried. That darn lion played an integral part of my childhood! I must see the Tana River. I know you understand. I think you and I should live in Botswana part of the year and leave Max and Michael at home, as they seem to share the same lack of enthusiasm of living "over there." That's another story for another posting ... But in the meantime, Liz et al, keep your fingers, toes, legs, eyes - everything - crossed as tonight is the Powerball drawing! Wish me luck! Ha!
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 03:29 AM
LizFrazier

OK Susan, you win. Go this last time. I'm surprised you didn't remind me that I went to East Africa 3 times before I went to Botswana, then I took Max there and THEN even went back one more time. Definately too much as I knew where I belonged. You surely do need to make this trip and I'm sure it will be the best ever. However, I do know a bit about living in Kenya. Remember I went there and spent 30 days to get a permit to live there as my second trip. By my third trip I had read the book "A Death in Kenya" about the young girl who was murdered there, and I knew I never would have survived living there. Very bad things happen to foreign women there. You don't hear about it. We hear about the ones who have connections that go there. So you will have to let that dream go. No powerball Susan, no, no. Kavey and I will have to come and take you and have you re-programmed at one of those camps if we hear you have won.

Old Mar 31st, 2004, 05:22 AM

But Susan, if you wait until you've seen everything in East Africa before arranging even your first know if there are sights in Botswana that surpass the remaining sights in East Africa in your priorities!

Visiting Botswana won't mean you won't be able to return to East Africa anymore.
Do visit soon so we can talk Botswana together too!!!
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 05:26 AM

Liz

LOL
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 05:31 AM

that earlier message should read:

if you wait until you've seen everything in East Africa before arranging even your first trip to Botswana how will you know if there are sights in Botswana that surpass the remaining sights in East Africa?

oops
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 10:16 AM

kav - and you think we understand *that* one? <g>
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 10:26 AM

He he he

Well WHAT IF Susan spends the next 10 years fulfilling her list and sees everything to be seen in East Africa. Then she finally goes to Botswana. And realises that she loves it much more and would have rather visited Botswana for at least some of those trips over the last 10 years?

OK I'm mostly just wanting to share the pleasures of Botswana with someone I know would love it so much... and I'm not disrespecting East Africa, I promise!

Old Mar 31st, 2004, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Kavey and Liz: Your points are well taken. But first, let's see if I win tonight's lottery drawing!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -