good guides in Egypt? Feluccas?

Sep 26th, 1999, 09:25 AM
amy

good guides in Egypt? Feluccas?

My husband and I will be in Egypt in mid-October. We are not travelling on a package tour, and would like to be able to hire informed guides once there for one or two days. We would like to hear from anyone who has had good or bad experiences/recommendations with regard to guides at Giza and Luxor. We would be particularly interested in getting the names of any reliable, informative guides at those locations. We would be willing to do this either as part of a very small group or by ourselves.

Re: Feluccas:

We've been reading that ist a great nuisance to maintain the necessary vigilance re: price, safe and adequate food and water, theft, arrival at destination, etc etc in arranging a felucca ride. But also that its unforgettable if it goes well. Does anyone have any recommendations about good captains or booking agents for a felucca from Luxor to Esna/Edfu/Kom Ombo, or recommendations about this idea in general?

Thanks very much for any tips, recommendation and/or insight.

Oct 4th, 1999, 05:49 PM
TAMI

IF YOUR GOING TO CAIRO, I WOULD RECOMMEND "HANIFY". THE NAME IS NOT SPELLED CORRECTLY, MY MEMORY IS NOT THAT GREAT WITH NAMES. HE DRIVES YOU AROUND TO THE MARKETS AND TAKES YOU TO THE PLACES THAT ARE NOT KNOWN BY A TOURIST. YOU WILL FIND SOME GOOD DEALS. BE PREPARED TO SWEAT, AIR CONDITIONING IS NOT NORMAL.

Oct 7th, 1999, 06:18 AM
Sandy

Mr. Sunshine is absolutely the very best Egyptologist/guide in Luxor . . . we thought so and so did every other tourist we ran into. Here's his info:

Mahmoud Abd Allah (Mr. Sunshine)
Master Egyptologist Tour Guide
Seti I Travel
Khaled ibn El-Waleed St.
fax 02/095/380453
office 095/370-501
home 095-372-821 or 095/380-434
mobile 012-225-7145

We were going to do the felucca trip from Aswan-Esna and then we talked to folks and looked at the boats. You will be on top deck the entire time, no shade, no bathroom, nothing to do, can't walk around, the mosquitos will eat you alive at night, the food we saw being prepared on some looked awful, no cold drinks, it looked perfectly miserable to me. Of course, it's probably one of those trips that you like a whole lot better after the fact. I figured that's a young people's, back-packer thing to do.

Search this Thread