Good deal on Joburg 5* Hotel...

Feb 1st, 2005, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Good deal on Joburg 5* Hotel...

If you book through Expedia, and you are willing to spend 3 nights in Joburg (which I may be willing to do after 16 nights on safari), you buy 2 nights and get the 3rd night free. It makes the average rate $230 per night per room.

The Michelangelo is an excellent location, right in the heart of Sandton, and features an excellent restaurant, Picolo Mondo, and is convenient to all the shopping, entertainment and fine dining available in Sandton.

With a 4:35PM flight out of VFA - JNB, I may just want to do the following itinerary, doing a quick tour of the actual Falls on the way back in from Makalolo Plains.

Luangwa River Lodge (4)
Kutandala (4)
Kasaka River Lodge (4)
Makalolo Plains (4)
Michelangelo or Westcliff (3)

That would put me in Joburg for Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights, as well as, obviously, all day Sunday.

With the schedules I am getting on my air charters, it would not be a problem at all continuing on from Lower Zambezi - VFA - Hwange NP. Plus, I would arrive in VFA after Makalolo Plains by about 11:30AM, giving me a couple spare hours to view the Falls.

I think most of the people that badmouth Joburg are just visiting the wrong parts of Joburg. Sandton, as well as the area that the Westcliff are located, are very, very nice. Two nights, in my book, is definitely mandatory for Joburg, but even three nights seems like it is a nice way to end a longer safari, rather than flying all the way down to Cape Town for a very short stay in what will be Spring with pretty cool weather.

Alternately, the Westcliff Hotel offers very good rates all the time right on their website, including some reasonable rates for bed & breakfast or for bed & breakfast & high tea. I love me some high tea!

Search this Thread