good beach accommodation on Zanzibar

Dec 30th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

good beach accommodation on Zanzibar

We are going to Zanzibar in a couple of weeks and are looking for somewhere to stay on the beach for 2 or 3 nights. Does anyone know of a quiet, mid range place right on the beach. I would really like to be somewhere where it is possible to swim all day but have heard that Kendwa & Nungwi are very touristy....any ideas?

Thanks,

Jenny

Dec 30th, 2005, 08:35 PM

We stayed at Breezes Beach Club last year. It was wonderful for relaxing, but the water was totally unswimmable (nothing but tidal flats all the way out to the distant reef). I'd be reluctant to go anywhere in that (ESE) part of the island for swimming.
Dec 31st, 2005, 12:36 AM

I would recommend Pemba, the sister island to the north. We just came back from two weeks in Tanzania and spent 4 days at Manta Reef Lodge (www.mantareeflodge.com) at the northwestern tip of Pemba. It was a wonderful place and the beach was swimmable almost all day, except for the very low tide. The place is beautiful, the staff wonderful, the food excellent and there's good scuba diving. We were able to get a good deal on the garden rooms, USD 140 (full board) per night for a room that sleeps 2-3 people.

The downside (or advantage, depending on your point of view) of the place is a bit out of the way. The flight to Pemba is short, but then there's a 1 hour car trip to get to the lodge.

Search this Thread