Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   GOING TO ZAMBIA (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/going-to-zambia-508108/)

ABDCP Mar 1st, 2005 03:33 AM

GOING TO ZAMBIA

I am planning to visit zambia in August 2005 and I have been dealing with a tour operator based in zambia called voyagers has anyone dealt with them as they seem they have really good rates
please help

Roccco Mar 1st, 2005 05:39 AM

Voyagers seems to be a good local Zambian company. I was met at the Lusaka Airport by one of Voyagers representatives when I bought my 5 night Kafunta package through an American company. Voyagers seems to be a very good company and they have quoted me very good rates on different itineraries.

What itinerary did you have in mind for your Zambian safari?

ABDCP Mar 2nd, 2005 04:55 AM

Thanks Rocco for advising my itinerary is 4 Nights South Luangwa and I have chosen Nsefu (what do you think is this a good choice) 4 nights Kasaka in the Lower zambezi and 4 nights Islands of siankaba cost given is USD3,780.00 per person sharing is this fine for the above lodges includes internal flights, fully inclusive at all lodges

Roccco Mar 2nd, 2005 05:33 AM

ABDCP,

The pricing is very good, considering that your internal flights are included.

I do not know if your budget would allow it, but I do think your itinerary could be improved some by changing it just a bit. I really think that your 4 nights in Victoria Falls is going to be too much, while seeing only one area in South Luangwa is not going to be enough.

Instead, I would suggest a couple alternate itineraries:

Nsefu (3)
Nkwali (3) Both Nsefu and Nkwali are Robin Pope Safaris, so this should help you get good rates by staying 6 nights with one company.
Kasaka River Lodge (4)
Islands of Siankaba (3)

So, all you would be doing is adding one overall night, but it would greatly change the character of your trip, by allowing two more nights in South Luangwa, while adding an entirely new area in South Luangwa that is very strong in its wildlife viewing.

Although there are other very good camps in South Luangwa, I do think with the pricing you are getting you are probably best off staying with Nsefu and Nkwali. The only other option would be to change Tena Tena for Nsefu, but this would probably add about $100 per person per night, but if that is within your budget, make the switch. If not, don't worry about it, as Nsefu will be just fine.

I do recommend that you hurry up and book as the available August dates for Robin Pope Safaris are nearly all gone. These dates may be seen on their website at www.robinpopesafaris.net under QUICK REFERENCE and then AVAILABILITY.

You will not regret adding the extra 2 nights in South Luangwa, trust me.

Roccco Mar 2nd, 2005 06:11 AM

Also, in the event that there is no availabiltiy at Nkwali, I do suggest that you consider another company other than Robin Pope Safaris.

In the northern part of the park there are only a couple other companies:

www.kaingo.com - Kaingo and Mwamba camps
www.remoteafrica.com - Tafika

In the same general area as Nkwali, are the following camps:

Kafunta River Lodge - www.luangwa.com
Puku Ridge and Chichele - www.star-of-africa.com
Luangwa River Lodge - www.luangwariverlodge.com

As a cost saving option to the northern part of the park, you may want to consider the Southern part of the park. The northern part of the park, while very nice, unfortunately features more expensive camps. Tena Tena, Kaingo and Tafika, all located in the north, are all on the expensive side for South Luangwa lodges, although still a fraction of the cost of Botswana and South Africa quality lodges.

In the south, there is only one lodge offering game drives (but also offers walking safaris). It is Luamfwa, and seems to have very positive guest comments from past visitors. www.luamfwa.com It is listed as only being $190 per person per night, and for high season this is an amazing bargain.

Luamfwa could be coupled with even a more expensive camp like Puku Ridge and you may still be within your budget.

Here is a good map of South Luangwa's camps:

http://www.eyesonafrica.net/african-...gwa-safari.htm

I would estimate that Luamfwa, not pictured in this map, would be about the same distance to Nkwali as is Nsefu, but in the opposite direction, to the south of Nkwali.

http://www.luamfwa.com/testimonials.htm

Do me a favor and let me know what you end up doing with your itinerary, and what your pricing is for any altered itineraries. Thanks.

ABDCP Mar 4th, 2005 04:34 AM

My local agent in Zambia has given me the itinerary that you suggested
3 Nights Nkwali,3 nights Nsefu, kasaka river lodge 4 nights and 3 nights islands of siankaba and she has given me USD4,400 What do you think

Roccco Mar 4th, 2005 05:06 AM

ABDCP,

Book it...NOW! :)

For only $620 extra per person you are getting an extra 2 nights in South Luangwa at only the expense of 1 night in Victoria Falls.

Nkwali is definitely the most expensive lodge of the group, so while it looks like you are paying $1,240 just for one extra night, that is not the case. It is because now, 3 of your nights are at Nkwali.

I think you have done very well with this itinerary and now it is time to book before someone else grabs those nights at Nkwali.

ABDCP Mar 14th, 2005 05:26 AM

Dear Rocco

Thanks for the advise all is sorted will tell you all how my safari goes with a local agent from zambia

Thanks again

Roccco Mar 14th, 2005 07:33 AM

ABDCP,

You are most welcome and the wildlife of Zambia and I thank YOU for choosing Zambia!

You are going to have a great time. :)