Going to Vic Falls 1 week after elections...

Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:41 PM
Rocco

Going to Vic Falls 1 week after elections...

Should I be worried about the escalating violence in other parts of the country??? I only intend to stay in Victoria Falls and possibly take a sidetrip to Livingstone (Zambia). I am staying at the Victoria Falls Safari Lodge and flying into Victoria Falls from Cape Town. Elections are March 8-9 and I am going from March 16-19. Worst case scenario, I could always cancel and spend the extra time in Cape Town (but I already am spending eight nights in Cape Town).

Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:48 PM
Jo

Hi, I would definitely be worried, but Vic Falls is worth the risk in possible lost money - can you re-evaluate your choice after the elections. I was just in Vic Falls last week and saw no problems. But definitely tensions are rising. The people in that area rely on tourism and definitely would not want to hurt you. The only harm I would think would come if there happened to be a conference or similar on.
The town itself is quite dead at the moment, which means harrassment is quite high as they have less to choose from. Vic Falls Safari Lodge is well away from town, and is itself a haven away if there were any problems. Its a beautiful lodge with excellent staff - although I didn't stay there I went and had a drink at the bar overlooking the waterhole and was very impressed.

Jan 25th, 2002, 04:03 AM
Lisa

Rocco, are you flying directly from CT to Vic Falls or do you have to transfer in JHB? If you do go to Vic Falls, please will you post a report on your trip as I'd love to know about your impressions and particularly on Vic Falls Safari Lodge as we are thinking of staying there in Aug.

If you find you do have to cancel and don't want to spend more time in CT, you could always do the Garden Route and go up to Knysna, George, the Wilderness, Plettenburg Bay.You could drive or fly to George. This is an exquisite part of the country with lots to see and do there. The Kango Caves in George are wonderful and it is a real treat to visit and ostrich farm and possibly ride an ostrich.

Hope your Vic Falls trip is successful though. It really is something to see.

Jan 26th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Joan

We are also planning at this point to take in Victoria Falls.Would staying on the Zambian side be better? We are looking at the Sun International Resort.
Which includeds The Royal Livingstone and the Zamezi Sun.Does anyone know anything about these? Are they close to the Falls? How are the veiws from this side? And would it be safer than staying in Victoria Falls?
Thanks a lot

Feb 2nd, 2002, 10:59 AM
Christine

I would be very concerned. It could be perfectly peaceful or total chaotic and dangerous. The Vic Falls are one of the most beautiful and awe inspiring things I have ever seen and apparently the view from the Zambian side is even better. I cannot comment on the hotels there but they are both brand new and Sun International hotels are generally very high quality hotels.

There are so many other excellent safe places in SA to see, maybe save Vic Falls for your next trip.

Search this Thread