Notices

going to petra and the desert

Sep 5th, 2001, 08:11 AM
t oldham

going to petra and the desert

what is the best way to go to petra and the surrounding desert--is it feasible to rent a car in Amman and drive---are buses or trains realistic options

Sep 7th, 2001, 03:09 PM
E. Finnemore

Lucky you going to Petra!!!!! I would try and hire a car in Amman and drive as its very boring and the speed limit is 50 mph all the way. I went by bus and we only had one stop and then you have to come and go when they do. You will need (want) more than one day in Petra and there is a nice hotel there. also when I was there you could go with the archeologists and have the whole place described to you in detail and thats fantastic.
It is one of the "must see" places on earth but there is also some other areas around that I would like to explore like Wadi Musas (? spelling) which is the tomb of Moses just out side Petra but because most Jordanians are not Christian they don't really take much notice of it.
Have a great time.
Elizabeth

Sep 8th, 2001, 08:32 PM
steve

Taxi is a good way. I would imagine you could get one for between 40-50 dollars. Try to spend a couple of nights in Petra. For most of the year the best time to hike is very early in the morning, which you can best do if you stay there. There are many very good hotels. Movenpic (sp?) is very good, though expensive, as is the Hilton. Getting a good guide is very helpful, try to arrange it at the hotel. The previous info about Moses grave in Wadi Musa can be taken with a large grain of salt. Moses is prophet in Islam, so the fact that most Jordanians are not Christian is not relevant. Be sure to drink plenty of water there. It's a great place, enjoy.

Search this Thread