Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Going to Kenya!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/going-to-kenya-604329/)

producerkoof Apr 1st, 2006 01:39 PM

Going to Kenya!!

Hello everyone,
I've been a lurker for a while, reading all your great posts and gathering information. Well we finally did it. Today I cashed in 150,000 AA miles for two coach tickets to Nairobi. Took quite a few hours on the phone with the Platinum desk to get everything set... but we got the dates we wanted and the flights too. We leave Sept. 23rd and come back Oct. 2nd! We go from LAX to JFK to LHR to NBO... and then on the way back from NBO to LHR and then to LAX! We have decided on Masai Mara, Amboseli and Tsavo West for our parks. Although it's a short time, we are all in our late 20's and not afraid to move! We are so excited and have never been to this part of the world before. Any suggestions you can offer would be great. We've already been in contact with a few safari operators and have received a few quotes... in the $1100 range for lodges. Thanks again and the countdown begins till Kenya!!

Patty Apr 1st, 2006 02:35 PM

Congrats and I hope you have a wonderful trip! That's a nice mix of parks, all different environments giving you a good constrast. We almost did the same route on our first trip.

atravelynn Apr 1st, 2006 03:53 PM

Great time of year and nice choices of parks. Be sure to spend ample time in the Mara. Have fun!

aby Apr 1st, 2006 05:00 PM

hi producerkoof

Ifit is your first time in Kenya
I would strongly vote for Samburu over Amboseli & Tsavo (can explain if u want)

I also think one cannot skip The Nakuru Flamingo (great) Show

Also i would suggest a night-viewing lodge, & even a freshwater lake

Safari njema

aby

mzeetembo Apr 3rd, 2006 05:08 AM

ProducerKoof Hi

I have taken a look at what you have proposed and would suggest the following small proerties to look at. For the adventurous independant traveller! looking for something a little different talk with Marcus Russell. He has a small cottage like camp in tsavo west. As always Marcus is surrounded by pets in particular a little Honey Badger! you can find him on [email protected]. In Amboseli the only place to go is Tortillis a professionally run outfit & one of the Chelli & Peacock properties. In the Mara you cannot do better than Alex Walker's Serian camp. Tucked away on the Mara river, a home away from home. The game is fabulous here and worth at least four nights. At this time of year the rush is over and there are plenty of quiet corners in which to enjoy the big cats.

Alternatively look at Elephant Watch Camp in Samburu or Tassia and Sabuk in Laikipia.

you could ask Daniel or Annie at the African Connoisseur [email protected] to put it together or one or two of fodorites sandi looks like she could help you out there.

Good Luck!