Search

anybody still going?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 09:42 PM
kkukla

anybody still going?

I am canceling my November trip to Egypt,anybody else still going? The travel agency told me to wait till the government posts a travel advisory then we get a full refund, otherwise, we forfeit an amount. What do you think I should do?

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 12:56 AM
Myriam

I'm in doubt myself. We are supposed to leave on October 18th for the South Sinai (Egypt). Here in Belgium there is no negative advice to travel to the Middle East upto now and thus we are not entitled to any refund at all. We'll wait, and see how the situation evoluates in the next weeks.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 06:40 AM
Huong

My husband and I were scheduled to to leave Sept. 21 but we postponed our trip until Jan. 25th. My honest opinion is I think Afghanistan is more of a target to the US than Egypt since Egypt does heavily rely on tourist and they are not harboring bin Laden. In fact, I spoke to a gentleman in Egypt and he said he spoke to numerous tour operators and they had given the people who were there during the attacks the option to leave early and no one did. He said that Egyptians expressed their condolensces and sorrows. I think the only ones that are happy about this incident are the Palestians in Israel. If you want to check, I went to the US Dept. of State website and they will have travel warnings posted (www.travel.state.gov) and Egypt wasn't on the list. Again, I do believe that we can't let this incident make us have so much fear that we can't enjoy our lives. My husband and I wanted to go in Nov. 2nd but my sister was too afraid so we had to delay it further. Always remember that you can't always trust the US media since they are going for ratings...good luck with your decisions.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 08:02 AM
Jayne

I know that many of you are having to make difficult decisions at the moment. The prospect of losing a considerable amount of money, as well as having the disappointment of not going on a holiday that may have been a trip of a lifetime... <BR> <BR>However, you are naive if you think that anti-american feeling is just pocketed in Afghanistan and Palatine - it is not! <BR> <BR>It was only in 1997 or 1995 that tourists were attacked - do you really think that any amount of police protection is going to stop a suicide bomber to attack sitting ducks (tourists!). <BR> <BR>Remember these are early days, that has not been as yet military action - this will happen - can you guarantee that people that are lying low at the moment and keeping their true feelings to themselves are not going to speak out when their country and their allies are attacked!! <BR> <BR>These people don't have 24 hours CNN coverage, they don't have political debates on how they should support their governments! These people are under dictorships, they are poor, they have difficult cultures and religions which many of us do not understand... <BR> <BR>American HAS nand DOES support Israel - bottom line you have government officials that have religious agendas and have been supplying significant amounts of YOUR money to kill other arabs, as well as MUSLINS... <BR> <BR>Please don't forget that fact. When they had the ex-prime minister of Israel Benjamin NAT! on FoxNew the guy came over as a total Zealot!! We have not heard from Arafat.. And something else occurred to me we made Nelson Mandela into a saint and he was a terrorist - why not see that some of these Palatines have had enough.. <BR> <BR>Think about people - politics affects everyone's lives - you as civilians cannot say you are not a part of it. <BR> <BR>IMO you should ask you law makers to leave Israel alone - just as many Britain are saying get out of N. Ireland.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 10:16 AM
a canadian

we have reservations for spain one week and rabat morocco the next week. We were to fly out Oct. 11th. The travel agent says there is a good chance that we may get a refund or at least be able to re-schedule (Air Canada). The insurance co. for our accommodations said no way to a refund. Unless our destination country is on alert then no refund available. Because we have two small children we would be leaving behind for our vacation, we have decided to stay home. It was a very tough decision. I know this train of thought is exactly what the terrorist want. Our children are our priority right now. There are many other days in the year. Losing $$ for our holiday seems trivial compared to what New York families are going through.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Ursula

We have reservations for a two weeks holiday in Djerba Island, South Tunisia. I have been working so much these past months and looking so much forward to this long awaited break and nothing will hold me back. <BR> <BR>My sister and her husband however are supposed to leave for a one week's break in Manhattan. Leaving two teenage girls back home, they are not yet sure to go even if they should loose some money. I hope they will cancel resp. postpone that trip and spend a week in a nearby country.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 03:45 PM
belle

I am supposed to leave for Turkey Oct. 5th with Pacha Tours. They said they have never cancelled a tour, not even during the Gulf War. One part of me wants to re-schedule, but another part of me says, "The heck with you terrorists! You are not going to ruin my trip!!" I just don't know what to do. I'm afraid if I wait, this war could escalate even more and I will never be able to go. Anyone else going to Turkey in the near future?

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 05:01 PM
BILL

My wife and I leave for Israel, on Oct. 5th. NO DAMN WAY , will I cancel.Don"t give into these BASTARDS.Go and enjoy yourselves. I"m certain that those poor innocent souls, thought they were safe <BR>in their offices, at the WORLD TRADE CENTER !! <BR> Don"t let fear, rob you of your freedom ! <BR> GOD BLESS AMERICA

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 05:43 PM
Huong

Good for you Bill! I share your same perspective and it's really sad that people are letting fear control their lives. Please share your experience with us once you get back.

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 06:10 AM
Reenie

My husband and I are also scheduled to go to Turkey on Oct. 4th....we are torn, but leaning to not going...mostly due to the arguments of our grown children who are really frightened about our being so foolish as they put it...potential war, being stranded, proximity to hostile countries, pockets of Muslim terrrorists throughout the country. Also talked with two intelligent friends who travel to that part of the world frequently and they both say no.The opinions I have sought are from educated people on the politics of this region. It is sobering to get their assessments.

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 11:45 AM
kkukla

I certainly appreciate everybody's comments. I will reschedule this trip for next year and hope that the situation gets better, although I think war will declared in those regions.

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 04:34 PM
olivia

Check the Canadian travel advisories--they are quite clear that travel to Israel and Egypt at this time is not recommended. Jordan's advisory is consistent with the US worldwide advisory to keep a low profile.

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 10:43 AM
Mag

Bell <BR>I'm also considering cancelling my trip to Turkey. I was supposed to leave on Sept 14, re schedul my trip for Oct. 04, and now not quite sure if I really want to go and be all scared during the trip. Specially that my travel partner is not going with my now. Should I just stay home??

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Leone

Good for you, Bill. We also refuse to cancel our trip to S. Africa ... we're within 2 weeks of departure, all is set, and we are going. Screw Osama ... he can crawl down into his dirty little hope and live like a bug ... the rest of us will be free and go about our lives. Have a good and a safe trip to Israle, and give us a report when you get back. Ciao

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 04:48 PM
BILL

LEONE,, Great hearing from you,make damn certain you don't cancel. If evreyone,bunkers down in their basements <BR>hiding from these BASTARDS, they have been victorious.It is "they" who should be hiding in their holes not us. <BR> Enjoy yourself in S. Africa, and let us know how you made out... <BR> LIFE GOES ON,, <BR> BILL. <BR> Canada,

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 06:39 PM
belle

Mag-- <BR> <BR>Well, as many people know (I posted in other posts ), we decided to GO FOR IT! You know what really helped me is to sit down and weigh the pros and cons and the probability of the cons. What is the worst thing that could happen to you if you go on this trip? <BR> <BR>1. There could be a bomb on the flight. <BR>Likely? I don't think so. There is always a risk, but security is so tight right now, that it is probably the best time to go actually. <BR>2. Turkey could get engaged in a military war. <BR>Likely? No, not now anyways. As everyone has stated, this is a different type of war. Turkey is an ally of the US and of Israel. The only Muslim <BR>country that supports Israel. If there are attacks from US against Afganistan, the US will most likely use their air <BR>force base in Incirlik Turkey (which is as far away from the west coast as California is from Ohio). <BR>3. You could get stuck in Turkey. Likely? Well, unless there is another hijacking, I don't see this happening. But if you do get stuck? I could think of worse things. Turkey is very inexpensive, and 3-4 days more won't hurt! (are you going with a tour company?) <BR>4. Muslims could attack you. <BR>Likely? I don't think so. From what I have heard, the Turks love Americans and are very supportive. They will ENSURE your sefety because they depend on tourism and because they value life. <BR>5. And if you delay, the problem could have escalated and you will never go. <BR> <BR>Positives? <BR>I don't think I have to list these. There is more than one can mention. But if you don't think you can enjoy yourself, don't go. But I can't tell you what to do. Just give you my two cents--Good Luck in whatever you decide! <BR>And have no regrets whatever you decide! <BR>

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 07:01 PM
Louis

We are still going to Egypt and Jordan on Dec. 15 if the US will let us and the people there are not like the cowboys here. As Winston Marsalis says, who I think is a very unusual man, "I always make the point to my students that what makes life so sweet is, you know you are going to die." We may have the place to ourselves and it will be wonderful to snorkel in the Red Sea. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 07:10 PM
Louis

We are still goi

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 07:12 PM
Louis

Sorry about the unfinished thread. I am not certain how it occurred.

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Thyra

There was a wonderful article in the L.A Times travel section, it's a woman who writes a weekly column called "Her World". It was lengthy and I don't have it verbatim, but the point it ended up illustrating was how important travel was to broadening the mind, and helping to do away with steriotypes. How it would be a victory for terrorists the world over if we stop venturing to other cultures. <BR>We have plans to go to Kenya in March and unless I am prevented through some government warning or otherwise, we shall continue with our plans. <BR>I read the paper every day with a sense of dread, but it's important to continue to live our lives. Safe and happy travels to all who continue to go. <BR>Someone did mention that often we are caught by fate while we are trying to avoid it. What would really be nasty is if we cancel our plans to go to Africa, then get levelled by an earthquake here in Los Angeles (Heaven Forbid!). Life does include a level of risk regardless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -