GOING TO DUBAI...HELP!

Sep 10th, 2004, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

GOING TO DUBAI...HELP!

Please advise me on arabic "protocol" with regarding to visitors dress in souqs, walking around harbors, etc. in Dubai for males and females.

I heard that males can not wear shorts outside the hotel resort. We are leaving in three days!!
Sep 10th, 2004, 04:25 AM
sandi

I know that Dubai is a more progressive Muslim country, however, it is still a Muslim country. Though I don't believe "cannot" would be the word I'd choose - it's notlike you'd be fined or thrown behind bars, it's more a matter or respect. So I would suggest you leave the shorts and abbreviated tank, sleeveless and halter top for the resort.

Granted it will be hot, but in the end you're actually better protected from the heat and sun if covered.

I would suggest, as when I've travelled in Egypt and Jordan, that when outside the resort you wear:

Men: a pair of light weight cotton slacks and a t-shirt or short-sleeve shirt
Women: as men above, or crop pant (ankle length), skirt below knees, t-shirt, or other shirt with upper arm covered.

Enjoy your holiday.

Sep 10th, 2004, 04:52 AM

Dubai is a big tourist destination.You can where shorts anywhere you please.Use your head and show some respect if you're going to the area of a mosque.
Sep 10th, 2004, 08:44 AM

wear shorts.

Search this Thread