Going to Capetown Sunday! Help Fodorites!

Jun 2nd, 2003, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Going to Capetown Sunday! Help Fodorites!

Thanks to all of you who have aided me in my planning. I'm going through "time warp" here trying to slowly adjust to SA time. Here's my plans, please feel free to ADD your thoughts and advice.
Arrive Capetown Monday at 1;30, get car drive to Cathbert Country Inn. Crash and dine, explore a bit if possible. Tues-Wed, explore the wineries in the area, hike and hopefully bike a bit. Th, Fri head to Lanzerac for more touring/tasting. Do walking tour of Stellenbosch. Sat-drive to Cellars-Hohenhort.Enjoy Capetown, hike up Table Mountain (I am a runner and in good shape!)Sunday, I can't decide..don't know how many wineries are open, how about a side trip somewhere? The Botanical gardens a good idea at this time of year? Monday, finish touring wineries around Constantia before heading to airport for 5:30 flight. Okay, people- fill in the blanks! Many thanks, Linda
Jun 3rd, 2003, 04:57 PM

Linda,

You are coming a long way not to see any wildlife. Are you sure that you wouldn't like three nights at a place like Phinda Forest or somewhere else that may not require a connection in Joburg?

There is a nice looking place called Simbambili that an agent just offered to me for 1,100 ZAR ($135 USD) per person per night for a last second booking. Great rate but I am committed to Vuyatela.

If you may have even the slightest interest on spending a couple nights in the bush you could check last second rates at www.mtbeds.co.za. The agent told me that they are often able to negotiate with the lodges to waive their restrictions of the super cheap rates to South African residents and they are able to extend those rates to non-residents.

If you are going to stay entirely in Cape Town, I did have fun last year on a full day Cape Peninsula tour that took us all the way to Cape Point and included stops in Hout Bay (with a 1 hour cruise), the Penguin Colony and other places. At Cape Point you can take a nice leisurely 20-30 minute hike to the top of some hill that has a nice of view of Cape Point.

Whatever you decide on, I am sure that you will love Cape Town. Such a wonderful and vibrant city!
Jun 4th, 2003, 12:09 AM

LLindaC,

Please post your thoughts on Cathbert when you return, as we have booked there in October for 3 nights.

Thanks!
Jun 4th, 2003, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Roccco,
We will probably do a wildlife tour on our return in 2 years!We've already booked these places and really wanted to do a wine/dine/hike/bike tour.Are there any Game or Nature reserves that you recommend nearby? Do you remember who that full day tour was with? I promise to write a good review when I return!

Search this Thread