Going to Abu Simbel

Jul 15th, 1999, 10:07 AM
Nico and Lilia

Going to Abu Simbel

What's the best way to go to Abu Simbel (from Luxor)?

Jul 15th, 1999, 02:49 PM
Tony Hughes

Inside an airplane.

Flight is cheap and takes about one hour. Best way to go.

Jul 15th, 1999, 06:07 PM
steve

I agree with Tony.
We flew from Aswan but the flight had originated from Luxor.
We were there in late April and the road was still closed and according to the locals, unlikely to opened in the foreseeable future.
There didn't seem to be allocated seats on the Egypt Air flight so race inside and grab the first available seat on the LEFT side. This affords you a great view of the temple complex just as you land at Abu Simbel.
You are then bussed the couple of kilometres to the site where authorised guides wait at the ticket office (included in the price of a ticket).
Its just fantastic and a "must do" if you've come this far from home.

The only downside is that we felt a bit rushed at the site in order to bus back to the airport for our return flight.
There's lots of flights daily so I'd plan for a full day of travelling/sightseeing rather than the half day we allocated
regards
Steve.

Jul 16th, 1999, 06:21 AM
Sandy

Hello! We just returned (June 29) from Egypt and agree with Steve, don't miss AS. The road is still closed so flying is the only way to get there, takes about 35-40 min, costs about $130. We had approximately 2 hours there and it was plenty of time for us. Have fun!

Jul 27th, 1999, 07:52 PM
jodi

I agree...if you want to spend the night you can, BUT you pay for your unused seat out on day one and in on day two because they only sell round trips. They lit the Temples the night I was there and it was quite a sight. Take a good flashlight, they have not figured out how to get the electricty from the Aswan High Dam to Abu Simbel and I found it a bit eccentric...but fine.Even for the one day in and out. Don,t forget, it on the left of the plane!

Sep 11th, 2007, 12:20 PM

This is an old post, but does the advice to sit on the left still apply? I guess they haven't moved the temples but maybe the planes take a different approach

Also, can anyone recommend a tour guide in Abu Simbel, or should we take the guide that is there? Apparently our entrance fee includes a guide...
Dec 3rd, 2007, 05:28 PM

We were at Abu Simbel on November 23, 2007. The light show was fantastic!

They have not figured out the lighting to the parking lot so a flashlight would be handy.

Our tour group flew us in from Luxor and we spent the night. Nice way to do it. The hotel was not that great, but sort of shabby clean.
Dec 4th, 2007, 12:52 PM

Momliz, was this a joke?

"Author: Momliz
This is an old post, but does the advice to sit on the left still apply? I guess they haven't moved the temples but maybe the planes take a different approach"
Dec 8th, 2007, 11:39 AM

Has anyone heard of New Star Tours in Egypt which supposedly drives you to the train in Luxor, then you take train to Aswan, and then they drive you to Abu Simbel. You come back the same day on the train. Just saw their website, and it seems a good way to get there.
Dec 8th, 2007, 11:58 AM

>>>train in Luxor, then you take train to Aswan, and then they drive you to Abu Simbel. You come back the same day on the train.<<<

All of the above in 1/day? From Luxor and return to Luxor? Or back to Aswan? Considering you only spend a few (2) hours in Abu Simbel, and they'll be driving from Aswan to Abu Simbel thru the hot desert... it's going to be a very very long day.

Many choose the drive from Aswan - departing before sunrise and too hot - to Abu Simbel and back vs the flights to save money... understandable. But from Luxor? Personally, I wouldn't.

Dec 8th, 2007, 07:56 PM

no, not a joke - well, I was being facetious about moving the temples - would they do that again? But, runways are moved or new ones added when airports are enlarged, so approaches can be changed.
Dec 9th, 2007, 09:11 AM

"Facetious" is a much better term than "a joke."

Search this Thread