Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > going on safari in Zimbabwe/Zambia. What do you take?

going on safari in Zimbabwe/Zambia. What do you take?

Feb 26th, 1999, 02:01 PM
Patricia

going on safari in Zimbabwe/Zambia. What do you take?

Please! If anyone has any advice, let me know. My husband and I are doing the camping safari trip in Zimbabwe and canoeing for 3 days on the Zambezi River. This will be during the end of July and into August. We purchased the sleeping bags, coats etc. But we have limited space. What is really important to have with you? We are also taking camera equipment. Any advice? What about video equipment and recharging batteries? How much toilet paper is TRUELY enough? Experienced persons, I would love to learn from your insights or mistakes!! Thanks to all who share their knowledge.

Mar 13th, 1999, 05:17 PM
April

I'm not sure how rough your safari is and I can only tell of my experiences in Tanzania. Things may be different where you're going. In Tanzania I don't know where or how often a person would be able to charge batteries, so in that case I would leave the video camera at home. Definitely take a long lens though. Things I was grateful for taking:
1) a Mini Maglight flashlight
2) a Gortex jacket. As we travelled in an open sided truck the jacket saved my skin from acacia thorns more than once. Plus it was wind and rain resistant.
3) the colour navy (hides dirt well)
4) zip-lock bags. Our belongings were put into lockers on the truck so these bags kept my clothes dust-free and helped keep things organized. I would list this as the #1 best thing I took....but again, it depends on how you're travelling.
As for toilet paper - I took, I believe, 11 rolls for 3-4 weeks and this was more than enough! It allowed for sharing though and giving two rolls away at the end of the trip. Maybe you already have waterproof footware which can be handy if you find yourself on a hike where you have to cross water. Glad to hear you got your coats as it can get surprisingly cold.

Jun 20th, 1999, 10:15 AM
anneke

I do not think it should be necessary to take all your toilet paper. You should visit one or two shops along the way which should all sell toilet paper.

Search this Thread