Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Globus or Brendan Tours????? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/globus-or-brendan-tours-566805/)

MonicaE Oct 25th, 2005 07:47 AM

Globus or Brendan Tours?????

Has anyone gone to Egypt with Globus or Brendan Tours? Any info would be great.

Igoustay Oct 25th, 2005 08:45 AM

MonicaE, we (family of 4) went to Israel/Egypt in 2000 with Globus. First time with a tour company. Had a great time. Went the latter half of June and it was rather hot but we still enjoyed the trip. Nile River cruise was very enjoyable. Never felt crowded. I think Brendan was one of the other companies we considered but do not recall why we settled on Globus. Remember the three or four companies we reviewed had similar travel patterns and itineraries. If I can of more help let me know. Will try to find my notes.
Dick

MonicaE Oct 26th, 2005 06:06 AM

Thanks so much. We are booking Globus. How were the hotels? Were they located in good places?

rsnyder Oct 26th, 2005 02:28 PM

Monica, found stuff from our 2000 trip. For early part of our trip we stayed at Mena House Gardens at Giza. With pyramids as a background was an appropriate place. Lot of charm especially in the older part of the hotel. If I recall we were in newer part but it was okay. Did not venture off site on our own.
Then, we were at Aswan Oberio on Elephantine Island. Interesting place. One could take hotel ferry over to Aswan and shop in the bazaar. We did that the one morning and enjoyed seeing the various venders, people cooking along the street, donkeys, etc. Trip included Nile River cruise with the Oberoi Ship Company. Thoroughly enjoyed that part of the tour. Last nite was at the Gezirah Sheraton also at Giza. I recall the rooms were okay but very noisey. The music from the outside lounge and sports complex was quite loud and although we were several stories up sound carried quite well. As we don't require fancy accommodations when traveling (clean, quite, etc) hotels in Egypt were acceptable except for the noise at the last one. Will add that staff were quite pleasant and oh yes, bargaining in the hotel gift shops is or at least was the norm. I would like to return to Egypt but Africa further south has a stronger draw for us now that we have been to Tanzania and Kenya. Dick

FainaAgain Oct 27th, 2005 01:06 PM

Globus aquired Brendan, but keeps its old name so people who're used to Brendan don't get confused.

Globus and Brendan are the same, you'll be on the same bus where 1/2 is "with Globus" and 1/2 is "with Brendan".

I've been to Europe with Globus, dependable, whatever was listed was included. Only 1 pair had their flight screwed up because they've used a travel agent.

gail Oct 27th, 2005 01:27 PM

We also used Globus - Spring 2001. Family of 4. A lot of the quality of a tour has to do with guide you get - and they are all independent contractors who often work for several tour companies and some do private guiding as well. Our guide was excellent as were all arrangements - all logistics were flawless (bus, luggage, Nile cruise, etc.)

Only negative is the inevitable shopping stops the tour makes - for us at Alabaster place, rug shop and papyrus shop. None were overly long, but it would have been fine if they did not happen at all. At each stop we skipped the "presentation" and wandered on our own, both inside and outside shop - no one cared as long as we were back at departure time.

In addition to driver and guide, there was a man sitting in front of bus wearing a sports jacket who had no visible purpose. Halfway thru tour it occured to us that he was our armed guard. After we knew what he was, we discovered he was willing and able to answer all sorts of security-related questions - such as safety of walking in specific areas of Cairo at night, any areas to avoid at Bazaar.

bobbysue Oct 27th, 2005 02:51 PM

I can't speak for Brendan, and I haven't done Egypt with Globus, but we did Italy with them and were extremely pleased. As you mentioned, we aren't particular about luxurious accommodations, but we do like ones that are centrally located so we can go out at night after the tours have ended for the day. This was a strong point of Globus. With the exception of Florence, all our hotels were right in the middle of the main attractions. In addition, the whole trip was extremely well-organized.