Gliding in Kenya

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gliding in Kenya

Doesn't this look like fun - unfortunately since the Web site has not benn updated since 2003, I may be out of luck again...

http://www.acaciahomestay.com/aerial.html

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 08:44 AM

Kimburu,

Rift Valley Gliders kept their planes at Mbweha Camp outside Lake Nakuru NP, but I didn’t see anything about flights for tourists and their website is “currently under construction”. I remember there was something about balloons, but I don’t remember gliding. Maybe on the updated website …
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 09:41 AM

I inquired at Mbweha Camp about Rift Valley Gliders and the answer I got was that no one there was giving rides to tourists. I guess it's more of a gliding club for members although this may have changed since then.

I also tried to contact Acacia Homestay prior to my trip but never got a reply. Perhaps you'll have better luck. Please report back if you find anything. I wanted to take a glider ride last time too but never got anything lined up.

As a last resort, you can email Petra at Olea Africana. She's a glider pilot herself and may be able to tell you if anyone at the Mweiga club gives rides to tourists. Peter (of Acacia) is her ex, but I got the impression that he and his family were residing in or near Nairobi now.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Patty. I will send off some enquiries, leave it be and see what happens. Will let you know if I am lucky.