Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Giraffe Manor – over night or day room, is it worth it?

Oct 5th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Is the Giraffe Manor a lot more expensive than the Norfolk? Is it worth the extra cost?

My current itinerary is arriving Nairobi at 7:25pm on August 1.
Overnight at the Norfolk.
Go to Animal Orphanage and Safari Walk in the morning, 11am Daphne Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage, lunch at the Carnivore, then Giraffe Center and Karen Blixem Museum.
Over night at the Norfolk.
Depart Nairobi in the morning for Sweetwaters.
August 13, 11am flight back to Nairobi from Masai Mara, day room at the Norfolk, 11:55pm flight home.

If the price is not too bad, I would like to check out of Norfolk after one night, and check into the Giraffe Manor after lunch at the Carnivore's. We want to stay with the program that was set up for us for that morning.

Another option would be to have the day room at the Giraffe Manor on the last day.

In your opinion, is it worth it? Is the over night experience much better than the day room? Do you know how much more it would cost? I’ve read wonderful things about the Giraffe Manor on this forum and I think Nikki, our 13 year old granddaughter, would love the experience.

Pat
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:50 AM

No one can answer the "worth the extra cost" question for you. I can say that we spent the night there three weeks ago and enjoyed it very much. We were picked up from the Norfolk at 10 AM and driven to Giraffe Manor. After lunch, we went to the Karen Blixen Museum and in the evening to the Elephant Orphanage to see our elephants being put to bed. The overnight is great because you can have breakfast with the giraffes poking their heads through the windows. To us it was certainly "worth it."
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:54 AM

I think you want to be at Giraffe Manner at breakfast time. I don't believe the dayroom would permit that.
Oct 5th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Marija, your trip report was the one that gave me the idea of spending one night at the Norfolk and one nigh at the Giraffe Manor. Since we were schedule to visit the GM after lunch, I thought we could just change hotel at the same time.

I can make it work if it is a couple of hundred $ more, but not $1,000 more. I booked two rooms at the Norfolk, but am willing to stay in one room at the GM for the three of us. Maybe that will cut the price down a bit.

Pat
Oct 5th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Ok, Atravelynn, I will try for an overnight at the GM. You are right, to have a giraffe stick its neck through the window at the breakfast room is priceless.
Oct 5th, 2006, 09:22 AM

There's a family room in the annex of Giraffe Manor that has a king size bed and two singles. It's a very comfortable large room with a fireplace.
Oct 5th, 2006, 02:00 PM
sandi

The Giraffe Manor is at minimum twice the price of the Norfolk for both adults and children for the overnight with dinner and breakfast next morning. The day-room is about $50+/person more than the Norfolk for both adults and children.

Oct 5th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi,
Would that translates to around $400 extra for the one night at half board?

Pat
Oct 6th, 2006, 03:27 AM
sandi

Pat -

Ask your outfitter for a price for GM for 1/nt on HB basis.
I can't tell you the exact difference (increase) as I don't know what they are charging for the Norfolk, nor their price for GM.

Oct 6th, 2006, 07:22 AM

Hi. We just got back from Giraffe Manor we were there Oct. 2-3 and were a little surprised that they said the Giraffe are only around in the morning and evening. So if you get a day room, maybe you should e-mail them and ask them if the Giraffe will be up by the house. We were able to get a young one up to the house in the afternoon, after they told us that they usually do not come up. Before we were there I was under the impression that they were always around the house. They told me that we could walk over to the conservation area and feed them up there, but it was usually crowded and that wasn't really the pictures or experince that I had in mind with staying there. The staff were very helpful though at our early dinner at around 6 p.m. to get the giraffe to come in the window so I could get some pictures.
Oct 6th, 2006, 09:56 AM

I think the Giraffe usually follow the food i.e. hanging out at the manor before and after the operating hours at the conservation center.

I was surprised at how closely the giraffes kept an eye on the goings-on at the manor. For instance if they saw guests moving about, while peering through the windows, they could guess that a treat was in store (they ignored the staff, no treats there).

Also they would watch the cars that approached the manor. They could tell if there were new arrivals and would follow the cars over to the manor for the handout that was sure to follow.

It was a bit eerie to realize that they had figured out the system (and to realize I was being watched very closely) and over my two days there I developed quite a bit more respect for them.
Oct 6th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

I will e-mail Serah at ESS to try to get an overnight stay at the Giraffe Manor family room, half board, so we will have breakfast and dinner there. Two chances to have the giraffes stop by to eat with us. Wish me luck, hope they are not all booked up for August 2. That's our first full day in Kenya, can't think of a better way to start the safari.

Thank you all for your comments. You are right, for an experience of a life time, I shouldn't worry to much about costs. Maybe I will book the balloon ride at the Little Governors too...

Pat
Oct 6th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Femi,
A victim of giraffe stalking. Spooky.
Oct 6th, 2006, 02:45 PM

Pat__Rick,

I just checked out giraffemanor.com, and their rates did not seem crazy, and the experience (i am facinated by giraffes) sounds special. The rates for full board USD 297 and half board 262. I assume these are current prices.

It makes me want to add Kenya to our 2008 January schedule.
Oct 6th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Local, I didn't quite understand the posted rate in the website. On the master room and the Karen Blixen room, it says "chargeable at half the standard rate". I e-mailed the hotel yesterday with the question but have not received a reply yet. The 2007 is about 11% higher than the published 2006 rate, so for the three of us will be $960 a night for two rooms. I think Norfolk is less than half of that. But mentally, I am prepared...

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the rate for the family style rooms are more favorable and that they are available.

Pat
Oct 6th, 2006, 04:06 PM

Pat_Rick

Sorry about pointing out the obvious/website. I am used to working with non-web people... and I must agree then:

"In addition, the Master Room interconnects with the Giraffe Room, which has two beds suitable for family members, chargeable at half the standard rate."

Doesn't that come to about $744 per night? If you take the Master Room plus the Giraffe Room? Which is still a bunch of cash.

It is quite confusing, and I want to here the answer they send to you. Hopefully, it is on the lower side. $900 is a lot for one night.

But I'm sure it comes with a free baby giraffe to take home in your duffle.

Oct 6th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Local,

I will post GM's answer regarding the "half the regular rate", if they ever answer me.

Me too, I hope it is on the low side of $900, but I think I am committed regardless the price. Oh well...

Pat