Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Gifts for poor families (and a cook) HELP? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/gifts-for-poor-families-and-a-cook-help-927219/)

TravelinFeet Mar 10th, 2012 10:13 PM

Gifts for poor families (and a cook) HELP?

I will be staying with a number of Berber and Nomad families. I would like to bring appropriate gifts. I was told to bring balls and so forth for the children, which I have bought, but these people are so poor. What can I bring that is small for packing, will not offend their sense of pride, yet be something of value to their family? Most live in areas that get very cold in the Winter.

Also a cook has been very kind to me and very helpful with my itinerary. I would like to bring him something -- spices or something that he wouldn't get in Fes. Any thoughts? All I've thought of so far is Mexican spices? (I thought of CA honey, but that's a liquid and a live food item for traveling purposes.)

Leaving in 6 days...

thanks!

TF

TravelinFeet Mar 10th, 2012 10:19 PM

Sorry -- I should have said a chef -- a professional! (too many languages going around in my head)

pody22 Mar 12th, 2012 12:08 AM

do not forget to carry something edible for the kids.

TravelinFeet Mar 12th, 2012 01:20 AM

What would you suggest please?

travel2eat Mar 12th, 2012 01:49 AM

Very thoughtful of you! You gotta keep things in perspective.
Poor does not mean suffering or unhappy.

They usually live in small caves and such.

Think like a child!
My favorite portable toy is balloons and they are BIG hit!
You can get some with the American flag or cartoons.
Get big ones and little ones for water balloons. Remember how much fun that was when you were little?

Good pens, pencils, coloring books, crayons,color paper, glue, glitter, etc.....

Coloring books with famous cartoons.

If you bought balls I hope they were the inflatable beach ball kind.

As far as women. Think of things that you would like in a Christmas stocking.
Lotions and fruit flavor chapsticks (it is cold/hot weather), nail polish, lipstick or lipgloss, good quality combs, bobby pins, barrettes, etc.

Also, tea. They add fresh mint to green tea. It is usually called Gunpowder Green Tea.
In the States Numi sells it.

Why not take other flavors to enjoy.

For the men it is not customary to gift as Baba will usually poke his head only!

For your drivers and guides which will most likely be males a nice tip is nice. $5-10 a day. Maybe you can bring a card with a picture of where you are from to write a nice Shukran message.

Also, if you want, when you get to Morocco buy some rice/couscous, lentils, and sugar cubes at the market and take them with you.
Also, sweets are a big hit!
This is a nice gift for a family or again your older guide/driver.

Have fun! Love Morocco!

travel2eat Mar 12th, 2012 01:58 AM

A food gift for any country is nice chocolates!
Moroccans love sweets.
Are they selling Girl Scouts cookies in your area?
Could be fun and oh so American!
Easter Peeps?
Chocolate bunnies?

You can pick up a bottle of liquor at the airport.
Men love to drink and don't worry about the whole
Muslim thing.Men are men! Lol!!!

If you pick up liquor try to do it before arriving in Fes because the airport in Fes is very humble, though they were building a new one or maybe it was in
Marrakesh.

planetraveller Mar 12th, 2012 08:39 AM

I Totaly agree with Travel2eat.

thursdaysd Mar 12th, 2012 10:05 AM

Giving sweets of any kind to poor kids is a lousy idea. Where are they going to get dental care?

cdnnomad Mar 12th, 2012 06:37 PM

I agree with the lotions in particular and lipstick or lip gloss as well as bobby pins, barrettes, etc. Even coloured embroidery thread would be put to good use.
Food is always a great gift especially when it is usefull in their cooking.
I can't agree with the balloons. They soon become garbage on the land. Animals and birds eat them and they die.

Bedar Mar 13th, 2012 07:26 AM

Do not offer liquor as a gift. Morocco is a Muslim country, and this could be highly offensive.

TravelinFeet Mar 13th, 2012 11:05 AM

Thanks. Yeah I wouldn't do the liquor. And chocolates risk melting. I actually loved the idea of balloons but am now rethinking it. I wouldn't bring inflatable balls. One bounce on rocky soil... I brought little glow in the dark bouncy balls. And matchbox cars.

I like the idea of postcards if I can find them these days. Lol

I'll look today for small lotions.

Thanks so much all!!

TF