Jo'burg Taxis, Soweto Tours, Etc?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a B&B in Sandton for one night in Johannesburg. They quoted me about R 240 for an airport transfer for us both. Is a taxi likely to be any less or is that a decent price?

We plan to do a Soweto tour. Do we need to book in advance? Does it really matter with company you use? The B&B referred me to a website that offers a 1/2 day tour for R390/pp.

Also not sure about our luggage... We will stay in Sandton at the B&B. Then the following day we have a 7 pm flight. I want to do the Soweto tour (and possibly something else) during the free day that we have. Not sure what to do about the luggage... Is the only option to ask the B&B to hold it, go back there, and pay for another transfer to the airport?

Thanks
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 11:57 AM

Hello,

The price you've been quoted for the airport transfer is about right for two people.

I'd book your Soweto tour in advance, particularly if you only have one day in Joburg. I arrived around 6am and, after checking in, asked my hotel to book me a tour for that afternoon. It was too late, so I missed out. Which company was recommended?

If you don't want to lug your luggage around, you can leave some of it at the airport in the left luggage service. However, you would then have to go to the airport early in order to retrieve it. Depending on how much you have, you may just want to leave it at the B&B; Sandton is relatively well located for the airport. You'll need an airport transfer no matter where you leave your luggage.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks (as always) for the help

The company they said they use is Sable Safaris. I definitely want to do the Soweto tour. Will give some thought as to what else we can fit in to go with it. Here's their link

www.sablesafaris.com/halffullday.html

Sorry....must be a glitch -- I tried editing several times and the link still posts in duplicate

Old Feb 24th, 2006, 12:49 PM

Hello,

I'm not familiar with Sable Safaris. If you decide to go with them, check to see whether your guide will be a Soweto resident. If the answer is no, you should go elsewhere. A guide who is a Soweto resident provide increased insight into the township, and can also introduce you to some local friends.

When I was in Joburg (and had remembered to book in advance!), I used a local operator called Imbizo Tours, owned and operated by local Soweto residents. The website appears to be down, but the email address is [email protected] and the ohone number is 011 838 2667 or 083 700 9098. Mandy Mankazana is the owner. There is an article about her here:

http://www.joburg.org.za/2006/jan/jan20_soweto.stm

Cheers,
Julian
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Great! Will get in touch with them
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 08:56 AM

That is a great rate for the airport transfer, please advise who is providing this?
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

The B&B/Guest House (Thatchfoord Lodge) that I choose for our one night quoted me the R240 for the airport transfer. Here is their website ~

http://www.thatchfoordlodge.co.za/

Will most likely contact the tour company that Julian posted above for our Soweto tour.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 09:54 PM

The standard quote for a taxi to Sandton is R200 one way.