Gift to Bring Tour Guide in Egypt

Aug 24th, 2004, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Gift to Bring Tour Guide in Egypt

I'm leaving for a 21-day tour with a private tour guide and driver through Egypt in September. I would like to bring something from the states to them as a small token of thanks in addition to a tip. Any thoughts of what would be appreciated or liked? Thanks.
Aug 24th, 2004, 07:47 AM

Hello CWanderer,

This is a topic that comes up from time to time on all travel forums. The most recent discussion around here was in this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34520437

In that discussion, however, the recipient was to be a South African rather than an Egyptian, and we knew she was a woman, whereas we don't know if your guide is a man or woman.

If your guide is a man rather than a woman, and if your gift budget will stretch to this, I recommend a multitool set manufactured by Leatherman. I've found them to be popular with men outside of North America.

Since your guide potentially could be a Muslim, I do not recommend the wine mentioned in the other thread.

Some North Americans like to give a sports cap or sweater from one of their city's sports teams. However, I would not assume that a Middle East resident would be interested in memorabilia related to North American football, baseball or ice hockey, so I would forego that idea.

An idea that was not mentioned in the other thread was a music CD. Of course you probably don't know the person's musical taste, but in my experience many Middle Easterners appreciate classical music. If the CD featured your city's orchestra it would count as a home town souvenir.

I think that, whatever you choose (provided you try to avoid the most obvious gaffes such as giving alcohol to a Muslim), the recipient of the gift will realise that "it's the thought that counts," and I expect he/she will appreciate it.
Aug 24th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Judy_in_Calgary.... This has been tremendously helpful! Thank you so much for the link and the advice. I have three weeks to get some stuff together and you've started a great list for me. Thanks again.

Search this Thread