Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Sharm El Sheikh Hotels - Four Seasons vs Ritz Carlton

Old Apr 13th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, I am looking at going to Sharm for a few days and was trying to pick a hotel. I'm looking for something 5*, very clean, nice, spa, etc. Both the Ritz and FS look to be great properties and I was wondering if anyone had any preferences or info I should consider in choosing. Or if there are other hotels people would recommend over these, please let me know. Thanks so much in advance!
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 11:45 PM

I shouldn't probably even post, because I've never been lucky enough to stay at either of these resorts, but I can say I've heard fabulous things about both. I live in Egypt and know other expats that have been to the Ritz Carlton and I believe to the Grand Hyatt and raved about them both. And, how could the Four Seasons not be good? I'm sure you will have a fab time at any of them, or either of THEM. Maybe the thing to do is look over the restaurants at both and see if one screams your name more than the other. Have a great time!
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 11:40 AM

I have a friends who spent 2 different expat assignments in Egypt and never stayed anywhere but the Four Seasons. But can't give a personal opinion. As Casual_Cairo said - I can't see how you can go wrong with either.

But.....the Thai restaurant at the Grand Hyatt is NOT to be missed!!!!
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 11:53 PM

Thai at the Grand Hyatt? Woo Hoo! That settles it for me. I'm staying at the Grand Hyatt.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 01:21 AM

CC - You've never eaten there??? I don't recall if the name is the same, but I think it's the same people that own our fav Thai place in Ma'adi!!! YUM!!! But I do recommend making reservations, it can fill up fast.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 09:50 AM

We stayed at the 4 seasons when it first opened and had nothing but problems. We complained to the CEO who upheld our complaint and gave us a complementary weekend in a suite at the George Cinq in Paris (still the best hotel I have ever stayed in!). That was a few years ago and I am sure the place is now running very smoothly with the usual 4S excellence. That said it is a superb hotel set on many levels with a funicular railway running between the beach and the public areas at the top of the resort. Great dive school their as I recall.

Haven't stayed at the Ritz but have eaten eaten there a couple of times and the restaurants were superb. Given similar rates I think I would go for the 4 Seasons
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 10:00 AM

No, never eaten there. I don't get to Sharm that much. Back when tourism was good and I could afford it, I was always too busy when the weather was decent or there was a holiday. Now that tourism is in the toilet and prices might even be down a bit, I'm too broke! I'll go to Maadi and eat at Bua Kao as much as possible instead! YUMNMIE!
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 02:50 AM

I think both hotels are the most famous in Sharm El Sheikh.
both great you will find all kinds of facilities, service many and many restaurants