portswood

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
portswood

Hi

I am scheduled to stay at the Portswood hotel for 3 days in July. We are hoping for a cheap clean hotel - the view or extras are not important as we plan to use it only to sleep. My question regards safety. Is it safe to walk at night after dinner back to the hotel? Would we be safer at the V&A?

Thanks
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:16 AM

betner,

The Portswood is 100 yards away from the V&A so they are equivalent in many ways. In terms of safety the Portswood is absolutely fine. If I assume that you are talking about eating in the Waterfront area and walking back to the Portswood then I all I can say is that your safety is 100%.

As per your description for your needs overall the Portswood should be just fine.

Enjoy your stay in our city when you visit us.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 05:28 PM

Isn't the Portswood both next to, and owned/managed by the same group as the Commodore? If so, this is a good reasonable choice in the Waterfront area. Your walk from the Waterfront will be fine...I did it in the evening, and I am a (rather small ) woman. I thought the Commodore was very nice--like a good Westin in the States. I imagine the Portswood is much the same...
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:05 PM

My family stayed in the Portswood last August. It is clean and safe, and close to the Waterfront. Walking back and forth is safe.

The Portswood seemed to be a cheap business hotel. Definitely not Westin Class. The V&A is infinitely nicer. We probably will stay somewhere else next time.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 07:55 AM

We're staying at the Portswood in June so I was glad to see this posting. It is owned by the same company that owns the Commodore, and if I understand their website correctly you can use some of the Commodore facilities. We picked it because of the location and the reasonable cost. Sounds like it was probably a decent choice. We don't spend much time in the hotel, so clean and comfortable in a convenient and safe location is all I really care about.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice. I think we will stay with the Portswood.