Search

Getting to Lamu and back

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting to Lamu and back

Hi there, I'm busy planning my honeymoon in Lamu for September next year, and have a few questions:
- how is the Kijani House Hotel? Honeymoon material?
- Getting there - I know Lamu is difficult to reach but the cost of connecting flights is quite high - my fiance and I are considering driving from Nairobi to Lamu - is this achievable in a day and how safe is it? We are from South Africa so prepared to rough it a little but within reason! Any other cost-effective transport options anyone?

Any other advice would be welcome - thanks a lot!
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 04:45 AM
sandi

Lamu is an island; at a particular point, you have to leave your car parked somewhere.

Have no idea your budget, but the air from Nairobi return is about $300/person.

When you consider the pretty lousy roads you have to travel, possible breakdowns, cost of your petrol, extra tires and some communications... besides the time needed, I'd suggest flying.

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 07:10 AM
aby

Matt
The ROPE-PULLED-RAFT-FERRY over the Tana River is not there anymore... so it is less fun to it by road.
(Imagine all the big bus' passengers pulling the rope to cross the Tana River with the bus aoboard of a tiny ferry...)

Driving to Lamu in 1 day ??
well, if u take the chance of sleeping on the way (will surely strengthen your pair-bond)...
I've done it by flight, 4X4, minivan & public bus service. i made the trip a few times along the Sabaki-Galana River of Tsavo but it all takes time,
& like Sandi wisely said u can really get stuck there...
i do respect your "roughing it" on a honeymoon ...

Safety: - parts of the road are remote, & Somali "Shiftas" have, in the past, penetrated much further from the Somali border...
Sometimes u join convoys on this road. i do not know the present situation

If u still want to cut on costs:
Check the price of flight from Mombasa
(Sandi must know) & u may consider taking some public transport' NBI-MOM
(5-6 hours)
There's also flights from Malindi
Alternatively you may drive through Tsavo but it means overnighting on the way...

all the best

aby
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 08:58 AM

We took the overnight train from Nairobi to Mombasa (very nice)and then the public bus from Mombasa to Lamu. I think you could rough it on the public bus - of course it is uncomfortable and hard but it only took 10 hrs or even less and it was during the day and of course, it was very cheap. Once you get there you take a 30 min boat ride packed with people. i LOVED Lamu. I don't know about that hotel but we rented a sort of apt. when we arrived for $5 a night or so and it was incredibly nice.

you can see some photos of Lamu and the train on my web site www.sarahandflo.com in the "Uganda-Kenya" journal entry.

Sarah
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 11:18 AM
sandi

Thanks Sarah for reminding me of the train.

Matt, the train would be a much better choice than driving (for all the negative reasons above). The price is inexpensive. Once in Mombasa, you can pre-arrange private transfer (can be costly) or public transit to Lamu; the hotel may have suggestions how or can handle for you. This is the only alternative I can think to keep your costs down.

Old Dec 14th, 2006, 03:00 PM
aby

<i>&quot; is this achievable in a day..?&quot;</i>
that rules out the train which takes ages... (or is there a fast train nowadays?)

The overnight train saves a hotel though... depends on your time-table.
I've understood the question (&quot;in a day&quot as leaving NAIROBI in them orning &amp; reaching LAMU for the night
bu