Getting to Istanbul from the airport

Jun 1st, 2000, 04:27 PM
Linda Marchildon

Getting to Istanbul from the airport

We are going to be in Istabul for 1 night before going on a cruise. What would be the best way to get from the airport to the Conrad Hotel in Beskitas?

Will the taxi's accept US dollars?

Is is really necessary for women to cover their legs and shouldars? Will I have a probem if I don't?

Thanks.

Linda

Jun 3rd, 2000, 10:45 AM
M&J

We also stayed at the Conrad for several nights. We used the airport ATM for Turkish lira and then a taxi at the airport paying in lira. Since $1.00 equal about 615,000 lira, you (as we did) can become confused with all the zeros ! Count the zero or you use 10,000,000 lira notes instead of 1,000,000 notes. I don't know if the driver would have accepted US currency or not. I know that the fellows selling postcard wanted US cash instead of lira. We travelled in the fall, thus my wife wore long pants. Too bad you are not staying longer--we would have many suggestions for you.

Jun 3rd, 2000, 04:14 PM
Al

Yes, the driver will take U. S. dollars. Just make sure he and you agree on how many before you let him take you anywhere. Before you leave the States, take along a good supply of small bills, singles and fives, just for this purpose. Keep them out of sight. Do NOT under any circumstance take along anything larger than a $10 bill. Don't worry about the legs and shoulders unless you plan to enter a mosque. Short-shorts are a no-no. Tank tops are a no-no anywhere. These skimpy chemise-like things women have taken to wear in America are in bad taste throughout the Moslem world.

Search this Thread