Getting Married in South Africa...

Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Getting Married in South Africa...

Hi, We are looking go to South Africa in March or April of this year, a wedding/honeymoon combo (no guests). Any suggestions? Ideally, we would like a game reserve, but are open to suggestions...
Any input would be greatly apprectiated.
Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:05 AM

Tanya

Can I just ask a few questions to help make it easier to come up with suggestions?

How many nights would you like to spend at the wedding/ honeymoon location and how long in South Africa altogether? Will the wedding location be just one place in an overall itinerary or the only destination for the trip?

How many people would you like to accommodate? Is it just to be you and your fiance/ husband or are friends and family joining you? If there is a wedding party to be accommodated would you prefer a camp which your party can take over in its entirety or is this not important?

What kind of nightly budget are you thinking of? Do you have a separate budget for the wedding? (I don't know if most places would charge extra or not).

Is the wedding to be a legal ceremony or will you have done that at home and be looking only to do a symbolic ceremony?

Kavey
Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

WOW, thanks for your prompt reply!
We plan on being in South Africa for approximately 2 1/2 weeks, and are hoping to rent a car and travel around from Cape Town up to the Kruger, probably not spending more than 3 days in each stop. We will be looking into doing a legal ceremony, however with no family or friends present. We will have a symbolic ceremony for family and friends when we return home. Our budget is negotiable...Ideally, we will be on a budget for most of the trip-not 5 star hotels, but not hostels either, somewhere in between. For the wedding, we would like to spend a couple of days at high end private game reserve or something else memorable. When we were in Tanzania a couple of years ago, the private game reserve we were at was the highlight of our trip. Which is why we are looking to replicate it to some extent. I look forward to your ideas. Thanks.
Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:31 AM

Tanya0070

How about a whacky suggestion opposite to what you are thinking.

Why dont you get married in a legal ceremony on top of Table Mountain and spend your first days of being legally married in Cape Town?

Finding someone to do the ceremony would be relatively easy (many people get married in this manner in Cape Town)and the arrangments would be minimalistic and may I add VERY CHEAP by normal wedding standards.

Your only problem could be if the weather does not play the game and in this regard you might have to select lets say three consecutive days of which one of them will become your wedding day.

Hows that for a really cool idea?

If you are looking for a witness on the day call me.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Jan 3rd, 2005, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

That sounds interesting...do you have a recommedation as to where to stay while there? Also, do you know the legal requirements for marriage in South Africa-I am getting mixed information while searching the net. Thanks for the input, this is the type of information that we are looking for...
Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:06 AM

Tanya 0070

Where to stay in Cape Town? Whow! How long is a piece of string? You will have to be a little bit more specific for an asnwer to your question such as how long will you be staying, what is your daily accommodation budget,what are the absolute essentials that you would expect out of the place that you will be staying. Furthermore your exact dates of stay in Cape Town are very important. Siting March-April as possible dates just is too vague as this will be a very busy time in Cape Town tourist wise due to big events such as Easter, The Argus Cycle tour and other special days. Anyway as an opening suggestion if you can afford about ZAR 1300 (US$240) for a night or two then go look at http://campsbayterrace.com/Suite1.jpg
This is a dream of a venue for a honeymoon couple.

For more info on marriage in SA please go to

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=31513

The answers to the question posed on this page are based on a UK citizen marrying a South African citizen however it will also tell you all that you need to know with regard to marriage in SA when you are a foreigner.

Hope this all helps.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:14 PM

Tanya

You might take a look at this website timelessweddingscompany.com. They have several ideas for types of weddings in South Africa and things to consider. I'm sure there are other companies that offer these services as well, with other options and information. Best wishes!
Jan 4th, 2005, 05:42 AM

My husband and I (both U.S. citizens) got married in South Africa in September 2003 -- we actually eloped and didn't tell our family and friends about the wedding until after we'd left. We were in South Africa for over three weeks altogether.
We spent a few days on safari at Harry's Camp in Mala Mala (not the most high end luxury camp, but very comfortable and the game viewing was superb). Our big splurge was taking Rovos Rail (very luxurious)with restored Edwardian cars) from Pretoria to Cape Town. We got married on the train trip in a lovely little Victorian chapel in Matjiesfontein in the Karoo. Sandy at Rovos was fabulous (everyone with Rovos was terrific) and arranged everything for us -- getting the chapel and the padre, arranging a little champagne reception afterwards. Our hostess on the train and the train manager were our witnesses, and, by the time of the wedding, we had met some people on the train who wanted to come, and everyone took pictures for us.
We then stayed overnight in Cape Town at a wonderful guest house in the Tamberskloof area, picked up our rental car, spent a few days in Hermanus, then Knysna (where we got to meet Selwyn and share some of his potent "firewater"), Oudtshoorn, the Winelands. We then went back to the guest house in Cape Town for our last 4 days in South Africa (with one day spent touring with Selwyn's brother, Rob). It was an incredible trip and we had so much fun at our wedding. Whatever you end up doing, it will be wonderful.
Jan 4th, 2005, 06:55 AM

KT, how wonderful! Congrats on your wedding!
Jan 4th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the information, it has been very helpful.
Dreaming...the website that you recommended is terrific for ideas and i am looking for others like that to compare. Thanks.
KT..thanks for your story. The Rovos Rail trip is what my partner wanted to do, but I think it is a bit out of our price range unfortunately. I am looking into your other suggestion. What were the legal requirements you needed to be married in South Africa? We are Canadian citizens.
Jan 6th, 2005, 06:05 AM

I think the best source of information on the legal questions re marriage in South Africa would be the SA embassy in Canada.

Best wishes!
Jan 10th, 2005, 12:07 PM

Kavey -- thank you. I have to say that getting married during our trip to South Africa was my husband's brilliant idea and boded very well for our marriage! We're already looking forward to our next trip there, maybe for our 5th anniversary. But first, Antartica! I will be in touch with you on that one!
Tanya -- the only requirements that I am aware of was that we faxed copies of our passports and my husband's prior divorce decree for the padre before we left. We did receive our marriage license (a very small paper) and were told by the padre not to lose it because it's very difficult to get it replaced. Good luck with the planning and we're looking forrward to hearing what you decide.
Jan 10th, 2005, 12:13 PM

Do please drop me a line!
If I don't reply email me again as my hotmail account sometimes diverts stuff into the Junk folder and I don't always check through it...
Jan 11th, 2005, 05:07 PM

Tanya - Cool idea to get married down there!

I'll add a suggestion for accomodations in Cape Town -- Kensington Place. We loved it, and the views are incredible!
Jan 12th, 2005, 03:57 AM

Bear in mind that in case of divorce you'll be subject to South African law. Also, unless you draw up an ante-nuptial contract you'll assumed to be married in "community of property".
Jan 12th, 2005, 08:05 AM

I was under the impression that in case of divorce you would be subject to the laws of the country in which the divorce is registered/ occurs NOT the country in which the marriage took place?

Jan 19th, 2005, 05:28 AM

I was going to suggest beautiful spots to get married in Cape Town (Kirstenbosch Gardens, Noordhoek beach, Signal Hill, Groot Constantia , I could go on forever..)but given all the great suggestions and recent info can't resist chipping in with legal knowledge instead. The legal system of the place a couple gets divorced will have its own rules of which country's divorce law applies - it won't necessarily be the law of that place. For example, if you get divorced in the UK the UK courts will apply the law of the husband's (sexist!) domicile at the time of the marriage - essentially the place the husband regarded as his permenant home at that time - so the place you were living then, not the place you got married. Very confusing I know. South Africa has the same rule.
On a happier note: A friend of mine got married in Cape Town in late April and the weather was exquisite - I'll hold thumbs for the same for you!!
Jan 19th, 2005, 05:41 AM

Lisa, I'm so surprised... I really am. I can't believe the UK wouldn't simply say, if you domicile in UK AND are getting a divorce through UK legal system, it will be under UK laws. This is so bizaare and really does make marriages abroad a whole different ball game for many people. Of course, no one ever thinks they will ever get divorced at the time they get married, so they probably don't pay much heed to this but... phooeey!
Thanks for the info, not that I'm ever expecting to get married again, but, you know, these things are good to know!
Jan 19th, 2005, 05:59 AM

I know, it's a bit strange.. but I think the idea is that you make decisions about an ANC, community of property etc at the time of your marriage so the matrimonial property rules of the place you were most connected to at that time follow you through that marriage - Still means that if you and your other half live in the UK the place you get married doesn't matter - and your divorce will be determined by UK law wherever you go after that,
BTW Just back from a superb 3 weeks in Cape Town - ate ourselves silly of course...

Search this Thread