Getting From Arusha/Moshi to Dar Es Salaam

Mar 29th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Getting From Arusha/Moshi to Dar Es Salaam

Hello,
My family and I will be going on Safari in Northern Tanzania in late November. A group of us will be breaking off afterwards to visit Dar Es Salaam and Zanzibar. We aren't sure of the best way to travel from the Arusha/Moshi area down to Dar Es Salaam or Zanzibar. Is it best to fly direct to Zanzibar (any idea of the price)? Or is it best to take a train (does one exist)? Or are busses the better option here? I've tried to surf the web, but information is sketchy and I'm not sure what are options even are, let alone prices?

Thanks,
Tyson
Mar 29th, 2005, 08:54 AM

Tingels

The best way is to fly. At least 2 airlines fly to Zanzibar from Arusha - Zanair is cheapest at about $115 per person one-way.

Scandinavian Express bus costs about $25 per person one way to Dar es Salaam and then you still have to get to Zanzibar.

The bus is nice but it is a 9-hour trip! And there has been several fatal accidents on this road involving buses. If it was my family, I'll fly.

Trains are not an option here.
Mar 29th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Ag3046

The bus is fine. A/C, full up, noisy video, but seemed fine to me.
Ask on Lonely Planet website:
www.lonelyplanet.com look for Thorn Tree and post under Africa branch.

Mar 29th, 2005, 12:52 PM
sandi

Realize that if you travel by bus, this will take up an entire day get to Dar and then you still have to get to Zanzibar. You'll probably have to overnight in Dar, to take a ferry next day. While this is inexpensive, it does take time and the waters can be choppy.

If you've already arranged a safari with a tour operator, have them price the air from Arusha/Zanzibar/Dar - assume you'll be departing from Dar for your homebound flight.

Search this Thread