Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Getting Down to Specifics- Zimbabwe Questions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/getting-down-to-specifics-zimbabwe-questions-918172/)

lhgreenacres Jan 5th, 2012 05:22 PM

Getting Down to Specifics- Zimbabwe Questions?

I think we are extremely close but would like a little input before we completely lock in our plans.

1 night Vic Falls
3 nights Somalisa Hwange
3 nights Rhino Camp
4 nights Little Vundu
3 nights Chitake Springs

So here are the questions- will three nights be enough time to really enjoy Hwange or would you add an additional night?

We are going to have a private guide in Mana Pools and hopefully in both Hwange and Rhino Camp. If we have to choose between Hwange and Rhino for a private guide( due to the budget) which do you think would be better? If we can not have fit it into the budget to have a private guide at Rhino, do you think it might be better to stay at Musango as Steve Edwards has such a good reputation as a guide there? We are also going to do a road transfer at the end and leave from Lusaka. Has anyone done this that has not stayed at Ruckomechi? Our flight will leave from Lusaka until 4:30 pm so if seems that should work and hopefully be a substantial savings from the crazy cost of the charter from Mana Pools to Harare. If anyone would like to share a plane on September 15th from Mana Pools that would work as well.

Any other thoughts, ideas or suggestions regarding the itinerary and the guiding?

matnikstym Jan 5th, 2012 05:49 PM

Sounds like a great trip! I think three nights in Hwange will be enough. Make sure you leave early enough to check out the wild dog center by the airport ([email protected]) on your way out. We saw a pack of dogs just outside the center.

I'd ask the camps how many people are staying there while you are there and book your private guide based on that. You might be the only ones there (we were) and won't need to pay for a private guide.

atravelynn Jan 5th, 2012 05:56 PM

3 nts Hwange is good.

Great looking itinerary!

lhgreenacres Jan 5th, 2012 06:04 PM

What am concerned about is that if we do not book ahead that there might not be a guide available for us if we want one. I will definitely check into that option as it would be great if we could play it by ear or even have a private for a day or two in each place rather than all three at both. In Mana will will definitely have one guide for the whole time which I think will be really great. If you did have to pick would you think a private guide is more important at Hwange or Matusdona? Also Rhino Camp vs. Musango?

sangeeta Jan 5th, 2012 09:45 PM

From what I've read, Rhino has the better location. I had also looked at Musango at the very beginning of our planning process, but learnt that the area around Musango was quite poached out. I'd be happy if someone who has visited Musango recently were to correct me on this. Very happy to see this close to being a done deal, lhg, we're going to be the Zim brigade soon!

tanya_1976 Jan 5th, 2012 10:19 PM

I think the big difference is that Musango is outside the Matusdona National Park in a private island concession, whereas Rhino safari camp is within the National Park in a central location. lhg -couple of people on SafariTalk.net have been to Matusdona and Mana this year who can probably do a more thorough comparison.

lhgreenacres Jan 6th, 2012 05:30 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Rhino Camp was the first choice but as we are narrowing done I want to make sure we are making the right choices and have enough time in each place.

Devey1 Jan 13th, 2012 01:49 AM

Fantastic itinerary, don't change a thing - Rhino Island is a winner. I would go for private guide in Hwange over Matusadona but think that you will have a great time whichever you decide - enjoy !!

lhgreenacres Jan 13th, 2012 07:14 PM

Devey1- We are booked and are doing exactly what you said. We have a private guide at Hwange and for whole time at Mana Pools. We are going to stay at Rhino Camp and felt that we would sacrifice the private guide there as it is small and I think it will work out fine. The deposit is made and we are all set. I now can start to remember that we are leaving to Sri Lanka and four weeks. I have been working so hard to do this Zimbabwe trip, I almost forgot that we are leaving so soon.