Getting around Tunisia

Feb 28th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Jim

Getting around Tunisia

I'm interested in getting recommendations for drivers in various cities in Tunisia going from city to city and within a city. Or are busses, taxis and/or louages the answer?
Thanks.

Feb 28th, 2002, 08:43 PM
kelly

Hi Jim,

What cities will you be in? When I was in Tunisia I used a variety of options. There is the train in Tunisia which is quite good. I would use that whenever possible. Next choice would be the louage, I used these for shorter distances like between Sousse and Kairouan. It is more expensive than the train, but if you don't mind the extra cost you could also take it on longer distances, though I preferred the train so I could get up and move about. If neither one of the first two options are available, you could take the bus, although I only did this for one short trip. The only time I hired a driver was to see the Ksours in the south and he was my guide as well (out of Matmata). I can email you his name if you are interested in a guide in that area, or for camel treks, he was excellent. However, I wouldn't hire a private driver to get between cities, the other option would be to rent a car if you are going to be moving about and want a lot of flexibity. I wouldn't drive in Tunis probably, but out of the cities I think it would be fine and I talked to many people who were doing just that. That day I hired my guide and car, I rented the car from hertz for about $45 USD a day (in Gabès). I am sure you could get a better weekly rate.

As for within cities, taxis are the way to go, they are very cheap and they always used the meter. The one exception to this was leaving from Tunia airport where i agreed on a price of 5 TD. This was a could deal as it cost me more going back to the airport when he did use the meter.

Hope that helps, enjoy your time in Tunisia, I loved it!

Mar 4th, 2002, 08:22 PM
Jim

Thanks for the info.
I'm considering a local tour company to do a three day tour that starts from Hammamet. So I think I'm giving up on renting a car. Did you in your travels come upon a private tour guide? One that would drive to various places as well as be knowledgeable about said places?
BTW, I've found a company that provides 3 days of touring including meals,lodging and transport for 200$usd.
Is that good? It seems to be a quite extensive tour schedule that includes Tozeur,Dougga,Djem.

Mar 6th, 2002, 12:02 AM
Gar

hi there,
200 for 3 days, that seems to be ok. But if You are 2 or more persons it is cheaper and more fun to do it on Your own. We rented a car in Hammamed (check a few prices, they are very different) for about 30 $ a day. Driving is easy here, less traffic. Only dont try to get into the medinas of Sousse, Kaioran or Tunis. For shorter daytrips use louages or train like Kelly told. Also normal buses run from the center of Hammamed to Nabeul, Tunis, Sousse etc. (Louages run from the very west end of town, take a taxi to bring You there). If I remember right a louage from hammamed to Tunis is about 3 $.
Btw. If You go by a guided tour You will spend a lot of time in carpets shops and other boring places and the restaurants will be the most expensive, for the guide always gets his commision.
have fun
Gar

Aug 10th, 2007, 12:14 AM

Hello
two of us are planning a trip to Tunisia in September - specifically to tunis, matmata and djerba.. could you please recommend some cheap but comfortable and characterful places to stay while we are there.... and the way to contact them
it'll be a great help - thank you so much
shoestrung