Getting Around Cape Town

Oct 10th, 2003, 09:14 AM
d43
Original Poster

Getting Around Cape Town

I was just talking with someone who lived in CT and was advised not to take taxi's "minibuses" while in CT and also not to walk..if we did not want to deal with having a car in CT how does one get around safely?
Oct 10th, 2003, 08:17 PM

We were in Cape Town last January, staying in Sea Point. You're not going to like my advice: rent a car. We had one that we had rented in Port Elizabeth, and drove to Cape Town via the Garden Route.

The Sea Point neighborhood was pretty busy, with lots of fast food places, streetfront shops, grocery stores, etc. So the car wasn't necessary to go walking around the Main Road in Sea Point. BUT, outside those few blocks, I really REALLY appreciated the freedom that we had with a car. You really can just jump in and go anywhere...there's a lot to be said for having that ability, especially in a town with limited public transport.

We actually walked from Sea Point, past Greenpoint Stadium to the bars by the Victoria Junction Hotel because it didn't look that far on our city map. Plus we weren't going to let fear keep us holed up in our apartment at nighttime.

It was a little further than I anticipated, but you could really see a lot of the homeless people starting to camp out on the grass, sidewalks, etc. building their fires as the sun went down. I didn't feel petrified, but not a good area to be in (we're two big guys, one black and one white). Plus the traffic on the main road really dies down just after sundown, and you get a sense of being alone on the streets (with NO police presence whatsoever)!

We saw a few tourists get in the minibuses, but very few and far between. There were some Golden Arrow buses that came down the main drag every once in a while, but far too few to rely on. We glimpsed one of those Rikki's taxi at the Table Mtn. tram station, but never saw any in Sea Point (good for two big people, like us).

If you're staying in the City Bowl area, I guess you could depend on taxis that the hotel might call for you, or perhaps the Rikki's taxi service.

The left-side driving took a few minutes to master, so that really wasn't a problem. Plus I didn't think the drivers in Cape Town were bad (except the minibus drivers weaved in and out, and would stop on a dime in front of you for a passenger).

Oct 14th, 2003, 02:40 PM

Hi d43,

In response I must mention that I dont agree with the advice given to you about walking and minibus taxis. Walking in Cape Town is great and you will have no problem doing this. One warning though is that depending on where you are going distances can be great in our city when it comes to walking. I would probably agree wth the advice given to you about mini bus taxis but then if you really want to feel the vibe of Cape Town do yourself a favour and take one ride in these modes of transport. The experience of doing so is quite something else.

In terms of transport other than the above if you do not want to hire a car I would suggest that you use the taxi services in Cape Town. They are fast, efficient, cheap and reliable. (Call Sea Point taxis on 43444444 as they are very reliable).

After all of the above I have to however agree with NurseSkip wholehearteldly with the advice of hiring a car. It will give you great freeom of movement, is generally cheap and overall will be a much better way to travel around our great city.

Hope the above helps.

Selwyn Davidowitz
Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Search this Thread