Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Getaway Magazine (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/getaway-magazine-547181/)

thit_cho Jul 27th, 2005 06:31 AM

Getaway Magazine

http://www.getawaytoafrica.com/

Does anyone have info on this magazine. It looks like a nice addition to Africa Geographic and Travel Africa.

Thanks

jasher Jul 27th, 2005 06:46 AM

Hi,

I picked up a copy when I was in SA last month -- it's a bit like Travel Africa, but with a more generalist slant (TA does a lot of articles specifically on safari).

Cheers,
Julian

thit_cho Jul 27th, 2005 06:50 AM

Thanks, I'm trying to subscribe, but am having trouble with their site.

I have done several non-safari trips to Africa (including several to Egypt, Morrocco, Cote d'Ivoire, Ghana, Benin, Togo and Madagascar), and intend to get to all of the countries, so this could be very interesting. Africa has a lot more to offer than safaris.

Province Jul 27th, 2005 06:59 AM

Getaway magazine is South Africa's foremost travel magazine. Like jasher says, it is more general travel and not limited to just Africa.

It's usually a good read running to 250 - 280 pages (although quite a bit of that is advertisements).

They also run a super yearly open photo competition with some big prizes.

I like the Africa Geographic too - very enjoyable and informative read.

bwanamitch Jul 27th, 2005 07:07 AM

Getaway is a nice addition to Travel Africa and Africa Geographic (I'm a subscriber of all three). However, it targets more the outdoors or 4x4 market. If you want to make a self-drive trip in southern Africa, it's the most valuable information source, covering all areas and not only Big 5 country. But if you prefer upmarket accommodation you should stay with Travel Africa (or Africa Geographic).

Mitch

thit_cho Jul 27th, 2005 07:11 AM

Thanks, Mitch. Actually, I like both (high end and seld-drive) and for my next safari in Summer 2006, I am currently planning to visit the Wilderness Safaris lodges in Hwange and Mana Pools, followed by seld drive in Kgalagadi.

Thanks

Kavey Jul 27th, 2005 09:01 AM

I got it for a while and then didn't bother...

This is purely personal opinion but I found that a) it was aimed too much at that particular subset of "independent travellers" who aren't so much independent of spirit (in that they still want to hang around in gangs and are more interested in booze than in the sights) and who are "budget impaired"!

I felt it's articles are so nearly useful but are often somewhat superficial and just don't contain information that I actually find useful.

That said, they do sometimes have nice reviews of parks and reserves and nice pics so ... no bad thing.

I now only get Africa Geographic and Travel Africa on regular subscriptions (as well as a number of non-Africa specific travel publications).

bwanamitch Jul 27th, 2005 09:54 AM

Well, when hiking through the Drakensberg or self-driving in the more remote areas sometimes it can be a life saver if you're with a "gang". And drinking a beer at a braai in the late afternoon can be very refreshing. I'm not quite sure what makes this kind of activities less "independent of spirit" than a so-called private upmarket lodge safari. We all are members of our own social class with its special views and codes of conduct.

Mitch

climbhighsleeplow Jul 27th, 2005 11:25 AM

I am still subscribing to Getaway but only because I'm afraid to miss some thing!

Their reviews are misleading (When Getaway writers show up with great fanfare, the red carpet comes out only to be stashed away when you and I visit the same places). Their articles are superficial and the ads drive me nuts. IMO the magazine is searching for an identity.

My family and friends much prefer the following two magazines:

Country Life - www.countrylife.co.za
Weg - www.weg.co.za (in Afrikaans I'm afraid but I can translate it for you if you want at a steep $$$!)

Africa Geographic has great pictures but is a light on content.

Travel Africa has better content but unfortunately ignores local oufitters by always promoting the large UK-based safari companies.

Roccco Jul 27th, 2005 11:35 AM

I just received 20 back issues of Africa Geographic in the mail that I ordered. While it is a nice magazine, I do think Travel Africa is superior.

I haven't yet subscribed to Getaway Africa. It does seem more geared towards South Africans than to an international audience.

bwanamitch Jul 27th, 2005 11:57 AM

climbhighsleeplow,

I find the ads in Getaway the most informative section, because most of these accommodations are not promoted by overseas agencies (or at a much later date - Moz is a good example).
Other people, other views...

Mitch

climbhighsleeplow Jul 27th, 2005 12:21 PM

Mitch, actually you may be right! The ads in the back are very informative! I am complaining about the ads for vehicle parts and camping.

For fresh news about southern Africa, I get the Southern African Tourism Update magazine. www.tourismupdate.co.za

tashak Jul 27th, 2005 03:21 PM

For those who haven't seen these mags: Africa Geographic is not a travel magazine, it is a continent-specific magazine like National Geographic-- wildlife, conservation, culture/anthropology etc. It is emphatically Not light on content!! I think Roccco meant to say it is light on "travel magazine-type content" of the type the other mags in question have...at least I hope that is what he meant.

bwanamitch Jul 27th, 2005 03:32 PM

climbhighsleeplow,

I've subscribed to the Travelinfo news letter by the same publisher (www.travelinfo.co.za) for some years now.

tashak,

I hope so, too. Often Travel Africa appears to me like a sampler of top operators' brochures - informative, yes, but a little "thin" in editorial content.

Mitch

climbhighsleeplow Jul 27th, 2005 04:05 PM

It's interesting what we all think about these mags!

I also get National Geographic and various conservation-oriented publications where I get my nature/conservation fix. So I enjoy travel-oriented magazines which is why I like Travel Africa more.

The great pictures in Africa Geographic are more than enough to keep me happy though.

I will always subscribe to both.

bwanamitch Jul 28th, 2005 02:51 AM

After I've seen my first aardvark I certainly will switch to birding and subscribe AG's sister mag Birds & Birdings :-)

Kavey Jul 28th, 2005 12:37 PM

Mitch I can only assume you're deliberately pretending you don't see the difference between those travellers who are more interested in the interaction with their fellow travellers than any they have with local people they meet or any of the sights and for whom getting drunk (not having a beer or two) is a particular highlight and those travellers simply sharing a more genuine experience with friends and having a couple of beers...

And don't assume I'm knocking all tour group trips either - it's a particular subset I'm talking about and I think you're being disingenious if you are claiming never to have encountered any of it...

:D

Kavey Jul 28th, 2005 03:16 PM

Oh and nothing to do with upmarket/ downmarket either...

Kavey Jul 28th, 2005 03:19 PM

CHSL
You're right that Travel Africa promotes UK tour operators but I think that's just because, as a UK based publication, they are more easily able to sell advertising space to UK tour operators. I'm sure they'd be just as happy promoting local operators were those local operators willing to pay them the same money to do so!!!
:D

Oh and I agree that the great pictures in some of these mags are enough to keep my dreams alive even when I've no trips planned at the moment!