General Info on Africa

May 29th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Original Poster

General Info on Africa

Hi! I am doing a big trip at the end of the year and would much appreciate any input on my itinerary. Also, if anyone can suggest accommodation and things to do it would be awesome!

Mon,5 Dec 05: Sydney-Jo'burg arrive 15:30 (can anyone suggest something to do for the rest of the day and a backpacker’s place to stay)
Tue,6 Dec 05: Jo'burg-Cape Town arrive 11:40. (Can anyone please suggest backpacker’s accommodation?)
Fri,9 Dec Cape Town-Jo'burg: Arrive 13:00. (What to do? where to stay?) Have to stay here one night because One World Explorer Around the World ticket does everything through Jo'burg .
Sat,10 Dec 05: Jo'burg-Windhoek (Namibia)Arrive 13:55. (What to do, where to stay?)
Thu,15 Dec 05: Windhoek-Jo'burg arrive 16:50
Fri,16 Dec 05: Jo’burg-Nairobi arrive Mon, 19 Dec 05 6:40
Tue, 20 Dec 05: Transfer to Arusha-overnight in Arusha at Karama Lodge.
Wed, 21 Dec 05: Arusha – Tarangire. Overnight at Tarangire River tree Camp
Thu, 22 Dec 05: Tarangire – Manyara. Overnight at Kirurumu Tented Camp.
Fri, 23 Dec 05: Manyara – Serengeti. Overnight at Seronera Wildlife Lodge.
Sat, 24 Dec 05: Serengeti – Ngorongoro. Overnight at Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge.
Sun, 25 Dec 05: Ngorongoro. Overnight at Ngorongoro Farmhouse.
Mon, 26 Dec 05: Ngorongoro – Arusha, overnight in Arusha Karama Lodge.
Wed, 28 Dec 05: Nairobi-Cairo arrive 3:45. (Where to stay? Is the Santana Hotel OK?)
Sat, 31 Dec 05: Tour to visit the Pyramids of Giza, Enigmatic Sphinx, Memphis & Saqqara. Overnight train to Aswan.
Sun, 1 Jan 06: Tour to the High Dam, Philae Temple & Unfinished Obelisk. Overnight at Aswan. (Where to stay? Is the Cleopatra Hotel OK?)
Mon, 2 Jan 06: Bus transfer to Abu Simbel. Back to Aswan and check in for Nile Cruise with Presidential Nile Cruises. Cruise Felucca ride to visit “Botanical Island & Elephantine Island ".Overnight on board Nile Cruise.
Tues, 3 Jan 06: Morning sail to Kom Ombo to visit Haroeris Temple. Sail to Edfu & overnight on board Nile Cruise.
Wed, 4 Jan 06: Visit Horus temple. Sail to Luxor and guided tour to East bank (Karnak Temple & Luxor Temple). Overnight on board Nile Cruise.
Thu, 5 Jan 06: Tour to the West Bank, Valley of the Kings, Valley of the Queens & Hatchepsut Temple. r Overnight sleeper train Luxor-Cairo.
Fri, 6 Jan 06: Tour to the Egyptian Museum, Citadel of Saladin, The Alabaster Mosque of Mohammed Ali & Old Coptic Cairo. Overnight at Cairo.
Mon, 9 Jan 06: Depart Cairo.

For Tanzania, I am close to booking with a company called Tropical Trails. For Egypt, I am close to booking with an Egyptian company called De Castro tours. Anybody heard of them? They are very reasonably priced and plus I always prefer to book locally. I have other companies on the Egypt list: Professor Travel, Greaters Travel, Noga Tours, Delta Tours and National Travel Service.

Thanks!!

May 30th, 2005, 12:00 AM

In Cape Town, Long Street has several backpacker lodges, I think it's the street where most students and young people travelling from overseas hang out.

Search this Thread