General advice

Jul 20th, 2001, 04:32 AM
steve

General advice

I would like to visit Morocco for the 1st time in Oct.Could someone recommend a book(s)to orient me in advance?

Jul 20th, 2001, 05:12 AM
elvira

I'm not a fan of the books as a rule, but the Lonely Planet guide to Morocco was very useful. When I wrote to the Moroccan Tourist Bureau, I received a lot of terrific information, including booklets on the various cities and area, filled with stunning pictures.

Jul 20th, 2001, 09:29 AM
Ursula

Steve: Sorry, I am German speaking, so I cannot recommend you books in English. Get one in a good travel book store. But it's a very good thing to prepare a little, especially if you visit a Muslim country for the first time. It's truly a different world.
You will love Morocco. It's so beautiful. So rich in architecture, customs, history. Try not to offend people with inappropriate clothing. You will find the people very friendly. In towns like Marrakesch, however, you will encounter a lot of hassle(?) around all tourists. Everybody wants to be your personal "guide". If you hire one, make sure it is an official one. He will keep all others away from you. The guides have extremely good knowledge and speak fluent languages.
Enjoy Morocco!

Jul 26th, 2001, 07:11 AM
julie

I enjoyed the Cadogan book on Morocco. I also used the Lonely Planet book and a small Michelin book full of photos, but found myself enjoying the Cadogan most.

Search this Thread