Garden Route: Info & Lodging

Jul 21st, 2000, 01:43 PM
Phipp

Garden Route: Info & Lodging

Heading to the Western Cape in mid-August and had lots of questions: What's the weather like during that period and we're suggestions on places to stay along the Garden Route (R150-300 per person per night is to a good range for us and seems to offer a lot of variety). We're hiring/renting a car and plan to spend three to four days driving from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth.

I don't know the best way to 'chunk' out our days but we were thinking of heading from the Winelands to Wilderness on one day, to Knysna the next and then to Tsitsikamma National Park (day hiking at Storms River Mouth) before ending in PE. Is that a good way to do it or would you recommend a different way?

Also curious to find out if heading to Oudtschoorn for the ostrich farms (and any one in particular) and the Cango Caves are worth it? How challenging a drive is the Swartberg Pass to/from Prince Albert (and is it worth the trip)? Is the Outeniqua Choo Tjoe train trip between George and Knysna is a good way to spend a day.

Also curious to hear about the roads, N2 in particular -- is it a divided highway the whole way? How long a trip is it from Winelands to George/Wilderness. And how long is it from Storms River to Port Elizabeth Airport?

Many thanks to all these questions. We're excited to be going.

Jul 25th, 2000, 12:27 PM
Jim

I don't know how long you're planning to be in SA. But I would do the trip from east to west. Don't know what the weather is like since I was there during the summer (Dec-Jan).Try to spend more than 4 days on the route it is spectacular.If I were to do it all over I'd spend at least a week driving between Port Elizabeth and Capetown.
We stayed along the eay in Plettenberg Bay,Kleinmond,on a farm close to the ostrich farms and a few other places I can't recall. All I know is that I would have lonve to spend more time every place we stayed.

Search this Thread