Garden Route in October

Sep 1st, 2004, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Garden Route in October

We are planning to drive from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town in mid-late October. We are figuring about 5 days from PE, along the Garden Route, to the winelands. Then from the winelands to CT for about 6 days. Here are my questions:

* Where should we definitely go along the drive from PE to the winelands? We know we want to stop in Hermanus for a night and Tsitsikamma. Any other ideas?

* Any ideas of hotels or lodges along the route?

* How many days should we stay in the winelands? Any suggestions as to where we should stay (or avoid)?

* Is 5 days enough for this trip to the winelands?

Here is the itinerary that was recommended to us:
* One night at Brookes Hill in PE
* One night at Knysna River Club in Knysna
* One night at Adley House in Oudtshoorn
* Two nights at Auberge Burgundy in Hermanus
* Six nights at Portswood in CT

Thanks for your help!
Sep 1st, 2004, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to ask if I really need to solidify my plans along the Garden Route in October? Or can I play it by ear, stopping in at hotels along the way without reservations?
Sep 2nd, 2004, 05:54 PM

We went from Capetown to Port Elizabeth in May. We took 7 nights. We spent 2 nights in Franschhoek at the Auberge Clermont which was pleasant and comfortable. Two nights in Hermanus at the Auberge Burgundy. Nice, good location but a bit of a disappointment in terms of quality. To be fair other people seem to like it but we were just so so with it. We spent 3 nights in Knysna at the Knysna Country Hollow Estate. We really enjoyed Knysna. Lots to do within driving distance.
Depending on what you want to do and how flexible your time is (can't add a day or two), I would spend one night in Hermanus and more in Knysna.

Search this Thread