Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Garden Route golf in September (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/garden-route-golf-in-september-749728/)

emckeeve Nov 20th, 2007 03:18 PM

Garden Route golf in September

We will be in SA in September next year and have 3 days to spend after leaving Cape Town. I know September is spring - will the courses be open and playable? We're thinking of Arabella or Fancourt. We'll be there the end of the month.

Selwyn_Davidowitz Nov 21st, 2007 12:34 PM

emckeeve,

I highly doubt if any of the courses in Cape Town or down the Garden Route will not be open at the end of September. Whether they will be playable is another story as it could well be raining at the end of September. Today we are in the 3rd week of November and there has been a devastating flood in all of the areas that you will be visiting so one never knows. My advice is plan as if you are going to play golf, make your bookings and hope for the best which I feel you have a good chance of attaining.

Enjoy your planning.

Very proudly part of the wonderful ((r))nation of South Africa

emckeeve Nov 24th, 2007 05:03 PM

Thank you, SD, for the response. Is September normally a rainy time there, or is it just unusual this year . . . as it is all over the world? We are eager to see some of the Garden Route - even after a 4 week stay in southern Africa.

Selwyn_Davidowitz Nov 25th, 2007 07:27 AM

emckeeve,

Yes September generally is a rainy period epsecially on the Garden Route where one can live through 4 seasons in one day in some areas. Please dont believe that I am telling you this with any authority because of late I have seen so many changes to weather patterns in the Western and Eastern Cape area that I believe it is very difficult to predict anything with much accuracy. Thus my advice is visit the region, pre-book your accommodations but leave your activity planning for each day to be decided on based on the weather.

I do believe that if you follow the above formula you will succeed in having a great vacation.

Enjoy Cape Town and the Garden Route when you visit us.

Very proudly part of the wonderful ((r))nation of South Africa

emckeeve Nov 26th, 2007 12:03 PM

Again, thank you. I can hardly wait to visit your beautiful country. It's been a long time dream.

Doogle Nov 28th, 2007 11:49 PM

Hi there

The are a couple of must play courses on the Garden route:

The Links
Montague & Outeniqua
Pezula (delicious course)
Oubaai (also gorgeous)
Plettenberg

If you get these in then you have done well!

emckeeve Dec 1st, 2007 04:22 AM

Great suggestions. We are hoping to play The Links, Oubaai, and Pinnacle Point. Another question . . is it better to rent a car in Cape Town and drive or fly and rent a car in George? BTW, we are "right handed" drivers, so is the drive easy or complicated? :-)

Doogle Dec 3rd, 2007 12:37 AM

Hi there

To me it is much easier to pick up a car in Cape Town and drive the five hours, once you have driven to the airport taken the hour and a half that you have to be there before hand and the flight etc, add another hour on and it is the same. If you drive from Cape Town, you can stop in hermanus and look at some whales, and then a highlight for me os to stop at Roosje van die Kaap in Swellendam for lunch, it is just gorgeous and the food is great, take some time to wonder around Swellendam it is so interesting and a gorgeous little town, you should have no trouble driving here it is the same! come and enjoy!