Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Garden Route (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/garden-route-98845/)

Janice Jan 6th, 2001 12:06 PM

Garden Route

We are renting a car & traveling down from George to Capetown via the Garden Route. Any suggestions on what to see and do along the way?

mary Jan 7th, 2001 11:52 AM

Knsyna, Wilderness, Mossel Bay, Plettenberg Bay which a bit further north. You could go over the pass into Oudtshoorn which is the Ostrich capital of the world. Take the coastal road via Hermanus, Betty's Bay once nearer to Cape Town.

Janice Jan 8th, 2001 01:03 AM

Mary, <BR> <BR>Thanks for the reply. Let's Go gives two routes back to Cape Town. I emailed AA Travel but they never gave me any advice. Your input is greatly appreciated. <BR> <BR>Janice

Riche Jan 8th, 2001 02:09 AM

Hi Janice <BR>By driving from George to Cape Town you will be missing the best part of the Garden Route. This Route actually begins at Port Elizabeth and ends in George. <BR>But, there is dstill a lot to see. <BR>From George, first go east to Knysna, a really nice village. Further east is the dense Tstisikamma Forest- also nice. <BR> <BR>From George go North to the town of Oudtshoorn and DON'T MISS THE CANGO CAVES NEAR OUDTSHOORN. <BR> <BR>From George drive west towards Cape Town (my home city) and stop along the way at <BR>Mossel Bay: historic small sea port, museum to Portugeuse navigators, etc <BR> <BR>Riversdale: small town in the scenic Langeberg region (lots of good fruit and wine) <BR> <BR>If You have the time, from Riversdale go north over the Garcia Pass to small villages of Brandrivier and Lemoenshoek, then return to the main road via Barrydale and the Tradouw Pass (total distance 91km-some dusty dirt roads) <BR> <BR>You MUST visit the historic town of Swellendam. This town is full of historic Cape-Dutch architecture and is a real gem <BR> <BR>Turn off the main road and visit the coastal resort town of Hermanus, pretty village, holiday atmosphere, and one of the worlds best places for whale wathching. <BR> <BR>Caledon, the next town, is known for its hot water spas and wild flowers (Spring) <BR> <BR>And then you're almost in Cape Town. <BR> <BR>Visit my website <BR>www.tourism.to <BR>I am a safari/tour operator in Africa and you may find the site interesting <BR>Enjoy your holiday in South Africa <BR>Best wishes <BR>Riche

Janice Jan 11th, 2001 04:43 AM

Riche, <BR> <BR>Thanks for the wonderful reply. You sure do know the country. We are flying from Johannesburg to George. Then we are taking the steam train Outeniqua Choo-Tjoe north to Knsyna. Do you think we need advance reservations for this? We are on a tight schedule and have a rental car in George(the only place we could get one since the airport is there). How would you handle this train trip north and a rental car still in George?

PATRICK Jan 16th, 2001 01:26 PM

During last november we made a nice trip from GEORGE to CAPETOWN.We made a first stop in Little Brak and spend 3 to 4 hours in BOTLIERSKOP game reserve.This is a 1500ha reserve with rhinos,girafes,buffalos,impalas and even lions.We then drove to OUDSHOORN to visit an ostrich farm(amust).We then take the R62(much better than

PATRICK Jan 16th, 2001 01:44 PM

During last november we made a nice trip from GEORGE to CAPETOWN.We made a first stop in Little Brak and spend 3 to 4 hours in BOTLIERSKOP game reserve.This is a 1500ha reserve with rhinos,girafes,buffalos,impalas and even lions.We then drove to OUDSHOORN to visit an ostrich farm(amust).We then take the R62(much better than N2)to CALITZDORP and then drove to the small road of SEWEWEEKSPOORT(surprising hills ).We then drove to SWELLENDAM and stayed at KLIPPE RIVIER(very nice hotel).We took the North road through ROBERTSON and WORCESTER and then spend 2 days in the WINELANDS(I recommend FRANSCHOEK,lovely village and LANZERAC).I recommend also the OUD PASTORIE,nice restaurant in SOMERSET WEST ,one hour drive from CAPETOWN .

cate Jan 28th, 2001 12:14 PM

To the top for Cathryn. Lucky i am feeling kind today. I get so irritated when people don't search for old posts covering the topics they are asking about

EDWIN GILHAM Feb 10th, 2001 02:36 AM

Take a look at the website www.railcruisesa.co.za - although you are travelling by car the site will give you some ideas. Look at the Johannesburg - Garden Route and Port Elizabeth - Garden Route sites - there are connections through to other links which will help you with suggestions.