Game viewing in S. Africa/E. Africa

Aug 12th, 1997, 07:07 PM
James Downing

Game viewing in S. Africa/E. Africa

Our family (with two college aged daughters) will have the first week in January for game viewing in Africa. My wife & I went to Kenya/Tanzania 25 yrs ago, and loved it. We must decide whether to repeat that, or try the S. African parks/private reserves. Can anyone compare the two areas? And suggest where to see the most in our limited time if we do S. Africa?

Aug 18th, 1997, 03:34 PM
Deb Survil

Have a college age friend who came back from Africa a couple of weeks ago raving about a walking safari in Zambia from an outfit called Robin Pope. That's all the info I have right now, but he said it was a much more African experience than just driving around in a truck with a dozen other people (he compared that to going to the San Diego Zoo). For this reason, he vastly preferred Southern Africa-he said the game seemed almost tame in the Kenyan/Tanzanian parks. Good Luck!

Aug 21st, 1997, 06:50 AM
Noelle van der Waag

My husband and I spend a good portion of our vacation time in South Africa's game parks (usually the Kruger National Park). We find this value for money, 4 people to a bungalow would cost you around $50 per night (no meals). We like to tour on our own because the need for privacy and quiet is why we go to the bush in the first place. However, if you do not know the bush you should opt for a guided safari at one of the private game parks which form part of greater Kruger such as Mala Mala or Londolozi or you may not see very much. Alternativley split your time between private and national parks.

As for East Africa all I can say is if you are looking for variety and close contact with WILD animals then South Africa is your only option - we do it better in every sphere (and our animals are the best looking specimens on the continent too).

Noelle van der Waag
Cape Town

Search this Thread