Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Which order: safari-Kili-Zanzibar, or Kili-safari-Zanzibar?

Old Aug 11th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi again-

I am still banging my head against the wall here over which tour operator to use, but now I am freaking out and think we definitely need to go with one that is registered with TATO. Which basically eliminates most of our options.

However, in the meantime, while I anxiously await the response of the one tour operator that will hopefully give us what we need, I am debating over which order to organize our trip.

Safari-Kilimanjaro hike-Zanzibar
or
Kilimanjaro-Safari-Zanzibar

I have heard the arguments for both, and they both make sense to me, so I figured I'd ask everyone on here their opinions.

Thoughts?
Many thanks in advance!
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 10:58 PM

For what it's worth we did safari, Kili hike then Zanzibar. the safari gave us a chance to acclimatise and get used to the country and gather some tips for Kili hike.It was a fabulous trip all round. Good luck
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 04:25 AM

Most climbers start to really "feel" the altitude at 12,000ft.

While on safari, you may reach about 7000ft in the NCA so you're not high enough to acclimatize. Many porters still get AMS and they live at 6000ft in the Arusha area!

Three things can impact your climb when you first arrive:

You arrive with stomach ailments after the long flight, you have flu-like symptoms (thanks to the person next to you who was coughing & sneezing for 8 hours), and/or your luggage was delayed.

If you go on safari first, you can zap these ailments and have your luggage delivered. You also get a chance to get used to the food and water thus decreasing your chances for stomach discomforts on the mountain.

A 3-4 day safari before your climb works best. Longer safaris may soften you up a bit (no exercise, lots of food and drink) so you have to keep some focus on the mountain.

Many climbers finish the hike in poor shape - horribly dirty clothes,severe stomach ailments, busted knees, painfull blisters. It is best to give yourself a night to recover before flying to your next destination. You don't want to hop on an airpline the moment you get off the mountain!
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 04:41 AM

BostonGal,
Choosing a tour operator!!! that will became an issue all over, Last year I had one with Afritanza Tours & Safaris Ltd following a very nice and carefull trip plan from their indeginous travel expert at [email protected]

Starting with kili followed by Safari then Zanzibar that is the best thing you can do. in that order you must have one day for acclimatization at Kili.After Kili-safari, the best way to unwind is just to relax on an island paradise Zanzibar.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 04:50 AM

Speight

According to the Tanzania Tourism Ministry, Afritanza is not a licensed climbing outfitter on Kilimanjaro.

http://www.tourismtanzania.go.tz/Doc...t%20Agents.pdf
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 06:09 AM

Having done a lot of safaris in TZ, I would agree with Susan and Climbhigh... Do safari first, to partially acclimatize and deal with glitches. Then Kili. Then Zanzibar to unwind. No question!
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone, we're going to go ahead with the safari first and then the climb.

Your advice is much appreciated!
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 09:51 AM

We did Kili, safari, Mombasa beach. We were all a little nervous about the climb so it was good to get it over with first. Safari 2nd was great because you just got to sit there in the vehicle and let your feet rest. It's a good argument about going on safari first for the acclimatization though. But I didn't feel the altitude until 16,000 ft and had no idea it would hit like a ton of bricks. If I had to do it all over again I would have skipped Mombasa beach. I felt I could have gone to the beach anywhere at home, but the safari was something I could not. I hope my opinion helps. Let me know if you need anything else.