game lodges within reach of Kruger Olifants camp

Aug 17th, 2005, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

game lodges within reach of Kruger Olifants camp

Hi There,
Myself and Wife-to-be will be spending part of our honeymoon in Kruger, currently with two nights in Olifants booked. We have also booked Satara for two nights but now find that we can afford to cancel Satara and look for a mid range Game Reserve e.g Exeter River Lodge or Honeyguide.

My two questions are as follows:
Given that we don't want a long drive between Olifants and our next port of call should we concentrate on Timbavati or Manyaleti, or could we reach Sabi Sands lodges within about 3 hrs or so.

Secondly, any advice on mid-range Lodges within striking distance of Olifants would be most welcome...I know that folks ask for advice on lodges all the time, and I have been reading the various posts, but the range is bewildering for a pair of first timers!

Thanks in advance,

Muz
Aug 17th, 2005, 03:48 AM

We drove from Berg-en-Dal to Olifants in one (long) day so you certainly could get from Olifants to Sabi Sabi in less than that but I would say that 3 hours would be pushing it. Don't forget that maximum speeds are (quite rightly) enforced throughout the park.

I remember referring to a website with a table of driving times between various Kruger gates and camps when I was planning my 2004 trip (back in 2003) but I don't have it bookmarked and can't find it.

Perhaps someone else will know of it?
Aug 17th, 2005, 04:31 AM

I'm not sure if it's the same one, but here's a web site with Kruger Park drive times on it:

http://www.southafrica-travel.net/Parks/ie_kruge.htm

Cheers,
Julian
Aug 17th, 2005, 10:06 AM

We stayed at Chitwa Chitwa Safari Lodge (also mid-range in price) in Sabi Sands immediately following our stay at Olifants, and drove it ourselves. But we did a lot of stops for game viewing along the way. It took us about 5 hours, maybe 1-2 hours of that was game viewing but it's hard to say exactly.
Aug 17th, 2005, 11:13 AM

It's sure not like driving 3-5 hours on an interstate! Sounds worth it to me!
Aug 18th, 2005, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Chitwa Chitwa is on the shortlist!! Can I ask how you liked it there Lisa?

Muz
Aug 18th, 2005, 06:04 AM

We loved it. If you search this forum under South Africa using the words "Chitwa" or "Olifants" you should be able to bring up our trip report from our trip in Nov-Dec 2003 with lots of detail -- I think it has the words "wow wow wow" in the title if that helps!
Aug 18th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Only three WOW's?

Thanks again Lisa, I'll get searching.

Search this Thread