Game drive - last minute

Oct 5th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Game drive - last minute

Is it possible to go to Botswana and book a tour instead of doing it long distance. I heard it may be cheaper in the long run and it's not that difficult to do. Anyone have experience doing this? Or if not going directly to Bostwana, signing up with a group tour in Johannesburg? thanks
Oct 5th, 2004, 03:30 PM

It's a long expensive flight, and Maun is a very small town. I wouldn't try it on my own. It probably also depends on the time of year you are traveling. In the more popular seasons, you might find yourself really stuck. There is a last-minute website recommended on this board...try a search using the search box. There definitely were vacancies at the places we stayed in May '04, so you possibly could work a deal in April-May (of course the deal we got several months ahead of time is no where to be seen now -- $1560pp for 6 nights in 3 camps including flights between.)
Oct 5th, 2004, 04:26 PM

We were at Wilderness in May. One of the pilot stayed at our camp. He brought his parents along for a visit. There was one night they could not find a room any where within Wilderness to stay ... they had to fly to Maun and overnight. With do impromptu with caution...
Oct 8th, 2004, 06:47 AM

It's possible to go to Jo'burg (or really any city in South Africa) and book a Botswana tour from there. We did that about 15 years ago, and had a wonderful safari with Karibu. It was a camping safari, and the participants set up their own tents and helped with the cooking. It was wonderful fun, and a fraction of the cost compared to booking from the US. The agent we booked through was knowledgeable about a wide range of safaris of all types and prices.

However, that was before the internet was widespread. At that time, the only safari companies advertising in the US were the very top-end ones. The ones catering to residents of southern Africa just weren't known in America. Now, there's a lot of information available about all price levels of safaris, so you might not save so much.

The only hesitation you may have about waiting till you're over there to book, is time. The tour you're interested in may depart only on certain days of the week, and you'd have to wait around till then. If that's not a problem, then you can certainly book in SA. And an added benefit is that some of your fellow travelers will be South African.

I wouldn't try it in Maun, but I would definitely do it again from Johannesburg.

Search this Thread