Gabon and Sao Tome

Apr 1st, 2004, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Gabon and Sao Tome

I'm in the early stages of planning this year's trip to Africa, and I'm seriously considering visiting Gabon. They have recently received much attention for setting aside a significant percentage of their country for national parks and reserves, and I have read some interesting things about Lope. I saw mountain gorillas last August in Uganda and Rwanda, and I'd like to see lowland gorillas this year, and I understand Lope is one of the best parks for this. Does anyone have any info on Gabon, Lope or lowland gorillas, or on Sao Tome since we may want to spend a few days on the beach after the safari. I certainly realize that Gabon is not on a typical safari route, but I've now been to most of the major national parks in East and South Africa and want to explore somewhere much less visited.
Apr 1st, 2004, 09:54 AM

I can only tell you about Libreville. It ranks as one of the most 'expensive' places on earth. There is a decent Sheraton but very very expensive. Unless you are being met by someone they do 'not like you leaving the hotel after dark', it is a pretty awfull place! Sao Tome is still very undeveloped but now that the oild companies are going in there it will no doubt change. Watch the weather, has some very high rainfall. Goo dluck in your plans but don't considor comparing it with East/Central or Southern Africa, different ball-game altogether.
May 11th, 2004, 10:34 PM

Hi,

I went to Lope several years ago - in all honesty I was far more impressed by parks in Central and East Africa. For example, in Rwanda you can get close to the gorillas, hear them, watch your guide touch them, etc - I did not even see a gorilla in Lope and even then animals that we saw were from a truck. I also echo the other posters sentiment on Libreville - expensive and there were warnings to be careful at the beach.

If you have exhausted parks in other areas, have you ever been to Malawi? If you can rent or get access to a truck, you can drive through the parks yourself - a very unique experience (in comparison I hate Kenya's safari experience - where they guide determines the speed etc). You can also snorkel and see very colorful fish in Lake Malawi; and there is another park that you are allowed to walk in.
Jul 6th, 2004, 11:43 AM

How safe is Sao Tome and Principe for a single male traveler? I am heading to the Peace Corps and it's one place that I would like to visit. I don't speak Portugeuse, but I have a background in French. Will that do? Is Gabon the only place to fly from the mainland? From where else (in that vicinity) can one fly to Sao Tome from? Thanks!

Search this Thread