Fundraising to support Katrina victims

Sep 5th, 2005, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Fundraising to support Katrina victims

Hi Folks
Members of a photography hobby website (where I am active) have decided to donate all profits from prints sold in the next couple of weeks to supporting victims of Katrina.
The owners of the site have kindly stepped in and made it a) official, so that all sales by donating members are automatically included in the fundraiser and b) included their percentage of the profits also.
If you are interested you can find the prints here:
http://kavey.dpcprints.com/donate_search.php
There are well over 5700 prints to choose from, all at different prices (prices are set by the photographer not the site) and yo can search on any topic, such as London, Flowers etc.
My prints include photos of London, Venice and Africa.
Kind Regards
Kavey
Sep 5th, 2005, 11:36 AM

Kavey,
I'd like to thank you and your photography website friends for this generous offer. I live in Houston, where thousands of displaced persons from New Orleans are now finding shelter. Many of these people came to Houston literally with only the clothes ib thier backs. Your support is very much welcome and appreciated.
Sep 5th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

I cannot imagine how hard it must have been.

Whilst I don't understand the mindset of those who could have evacuated but chose not to do so I can't imagine how it must have been to be unable to evacuate (no car, infirm, etc) and to know the hurricane was on it's way.

And some of the crap going on now that's making it harder for aid to get in? Horrendous.

Thanks for the support. Here's hoping we at DPC can collectively do a very small something to help.
Sep 5th, 2005, 01:10 PM

Hi Kavey - i just want to add my thanks. I live far from the disaster, but we will no doubt be getting some refugees here at some point. It is totally unreal.

Thanks again,
Sharon
Sep 5th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

BTW when i say above that I cannot imagine how hard it must have been I do not mean to imply that the situation does not continue to be horrendous - I was referring there to the experience of living through the hurricane.
I know that it continues to be a living nightmare for many people and will be for a long time to come.
Sep 5th, 2005, 01:24 PM
sandi

Kavey -

Always right there on the spot.
It's a delight to know that so many from far away give a damn. Thanks.

Sep 5th, 2005, 02:24 PM

Kavey,
Your generosity is truly appreciated. The Mississippi and Alabama evacuees who have come here to Florida have only their lives - everything else is gone. They will be starting over from scratch; the kindess and generosity of people from all over the world is needed and appreciated.
Sep 6th, 2005, 03:04 PM

Kavey,
You are truly a generous soul. Most Americans are in shock and outrage over our government’s poor relief response and lack of planning.
While I do not live in the Southern US, I do have relatives and friends there whom I am deeply concerned about.
Thank you for the kind words and actions...
All the best,
Brenda
Sep 7th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, for the support.
Please do take a little browse through the photos - there are some astonishingly talented photographers in there - if I had the money I'd be buying tonnes of their photos.
There are certainly some beautiful ones of wildlife and landscapes as well as every kind of subject and style you could think of.
If you have any friends with birthdays coming up or are thinking of buying Xmas presents - maybe a beautiful photo print would work?
Sep 7th, 2005, 10:48 AM

I'm on it right now; just need to choose. A wonderful idea and very generous of you and the other photographers.

And, whew, how brave of you to post on the Europe board. Now *that's* a tough crowd.

Thank you again.
Sep 7th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Leely, isn't it just?
Worth it though - had two purchases after making it!
Please note that you should NOT feel obligated to choose one of my prints, there are some incredibly talented photographers there, some fair ones and a few mediocre ones and you'll need to plough through or think of some good search terms to try.
Thanks for the support and let me know what you choose!
Sep 7th, 2005, 12:24 PM

Kavey--good for you! There are some good eggs on that Europe board after all.

FYI this time I chose "End of the Road," a b/w of Baptist church signs. For my sis, with whom I did a driving tour of the American South a few years ago.

Again, many thanks to you and your dpc buddies.
Sep 7th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

That's wonderful - I'm so glad you were able to find a print with personal meaning that will make a great gift for your sister!

Thanks!!!
Sep 7th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

I just went to check it out and the print is by one of my personal friends from the site, Angel, a talented photographer and lovely lady. We've spoken on the phone a couple of times and chatted lots in the chat room associated with the hobby site (dpchallenge) from which the print site sprang a year or two back.
Sep 7th, 2005, 04:53 PM

Kavey:

Thanks again for pointing out this wonderful website. Hope to return often.

I couldn't pass up your Tomboy though!
I'll display him proudly when he arrives.

Jan
Sep 8th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jan!

Sep 8th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

I had posted the link in just 2 places, Fodors and another site, and then today, also at Mamta's Kitchen.

The sales made by people following the link are continuing to grow and other photographers are reporting great sales too of their own and other photographers' work.

I can't wait to see how much has been raised. Thanks again, everyone!

Apologies if I seem to ignore any responses, I'll be offline for a week or so from tomorrow.

Search this Thread