Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

From Uganda to Kenya for a safari, suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings All!
I am taking the summer between my first and second year of medical school to build a medical clinic in southern Uganda. I am dragging my parents along, as well as a general contractor and someone who just wants to help out. We will be there the entire summer, working with a bunch of locals, but want to treat ourselves to a safari for a couple days before we leave in early August.
I have tried to read many postings and it seems there is a good vibe going on Amboseli Safari in Kenya, staying at either Ol Tukai or Tortelli.
I loved the idea suggested of finding a reliable local and hiring him to drive us to the game reserve and also drive with us during the day through the park.
It seemed many recommended driving on our own vs. the tour guides, as there is more freedom . I did this once in Kruger and thought it amazing. We have several good Ugandan local friends, so I think finding this person should not be a problem.
Does anybody have any suggestions?
Do you think it is possible to drive from Uganda to Amboseli in a day? It seems the viewing along the way, even if a long drive, could be much more exciting than an airplane.
How does one make a reservation at Ol Tukai or Tortelli without a 'package deal'?
I could not find a direct link to either accomodation.
Which accomodation is better? (We'd be there August 5ish-8ish)
Does anybody want to help build? We'll be there the entire summer starting next week!
Thanks so much for any input you might have to offer!
Steph
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 01:14 AM

Hey! it will be a very long drive from Uganda to Amboseli. I would advise you to make a stop in Nairobi or somewhere closer. For accomodation, both Oltukai and Tortillis are excellent thought these lodges they will cost you a fortune especially when you are booking directly. August will be a peak season in Kenya and most of the lodges in Kenya will charge rack rate. Its better you try to book though a Tour Operator in Nairobi, they will be reasonable compared to when you book yourself.

Yes, its possible to hire a car and a driver to drive you to Amboseli but please try to calculate how much it will cost you for the car, fuel, driver, park entry fees, accomodation etc and when you do it as a package. Compare the two prices and go for the cheaper option as I do know sometimes doing a safari the way you want can be extremely expensive.

Good luck
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 05:43 AM

Steph-

My wife and I will be doing a safari in Uganda and Kenya in August. It will be our first trip to Africa so we can't offer first-hand advice, but I don't think it's possible to do that drive in a day. Estimating based on the Scandinavia shuttle schedule (http://www.scandinaviagroup.com/Scan...ress/index.htm), it looks like around 12 hours from Entebbe to Nairobi, and I think it's another half day to Amboseli.

Why not do your safai in Uganda? Queen Elizabeth Park would offer a range of habitats and Murchison Falls would be another great option. That is besides a visit to the mountain gorillas, which even seasoned safari veterans on this board routinely rank as one of their most memorable experiences. Using your driver idea you could probably do an entire Uganda safari staying at very nice lodges for less than just the lodging at Tortillis

-Matt
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Ile

Steph,

I myself am going for the first time to Kenya in august. But from everything I read (and I did some research!) I can tell you: first - the drive is really a long one, can't do it in one day I guess; second - Amboseli is not between the first parks someone with some Kenya experience would choose (search a little on this forum, thare are very useful trip reports and advice and information).
If, for any particular reason, you want to go to Kenya, why not chose a park closer to Uganda (depends where are you coming from in uganda, of course).
And by the way, I'll be at Ol Tukai 2 days, arriving on the 7th of august, and I booked a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't at all easy, I don't think you'll find any free room now. Tou'll have this problem with any of the lodges in the important parks in Kenya for the month of august.

Congratulations for your volunteer work! It's a great ideea, good luck with everything you need to do. I wanted also to volunteer for a month this summer (I already finished medical school ) but unfortunately I had to postpone it for next year. If "your" clinic will be ready and need doctors, let me know!

Grootjes (am I right?!).
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 09:22 AM

Where in southern Uganda will you be based? I second the suggestion of doing your safari in Uganda especially if you only have a few days time.

Here are some trip reports and a couple of threads discussing safari options in Uganda -

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34765002

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34760146

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34444009

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34696781

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34737880

I don't think it makes sense to drive all the way to Amboseli from Uganda. I think it would take you 2 days each direction just to get there and back.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:29 AM

hi steph-

i will be i kampala- i can help you build some weekend if you're not too far from there.

how would a volunteer get in touch with you/ your group to do this?

is it you, personally, or are you doing this on behalf of an organization?

kerikeri
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Hey Guys,
Thanks so much for your advice and suggestions. We are looking into your recommendation for Ugandan safaris, especially the gorilla viewing. We had no idea there were quality game reserves there. Thank you, thank you!

Thanks lle, for your doctor offer! That is very generous! Unfortunately, our only goal this summer is to construct the grounds. We have very ambitious goals, so will be lucky to just get the construction done. I really appreciate your offer though! I may be bugging you over the next year though, when I am trying to organize a mission!

KeriKeri, we would love it if you wanted to help us build!! We are flying in late on June 22, staying either at Mamba Point guest house or the Sheraton for the night, and then off to Ddegeya Village until August 8. We will begin building on July 2nd, when the general contractor arrives to lead the crew of people. Until then we will just be gathering supplies and ideas.
Ddegeya Village is in the Masaka district in Southern Uganda, on the road to Mbarara. I will be checking email periodically, so if you want to join up for a bit, here is my email address:
[email protected]
Also, we have a fledgling little site started at www.engeye.com
if you want to check it out!
As of now, we are just working with personal funds. We are in the process of establishing it as a non-profit NGO which will help with funding. We may link up with IFMSA, but are unsure. I can't decide if there would be much benefit or if might be more of a hindrance. We will see. So as of now, it's just a personal project.
Thanks so much everybody!
Stephanie
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 05:29 PM

You need to get a guide to the parks of Uganda - or at least East Africa - I think you may find there are one or two very interesting places near you. Lonely Planet do one (it's called "wildlife watching" but in fact contains good descriptions of all the parks). I am sure there are others. People here say Bradt Guides are good for this - do they have a Uganda? Try www.uwa.or.ug as a starter but there are actually some more places I believe - perhaps just not overseen by UWA. Maybe you can go to parks every weekend and make us all insanely jealous.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 08:58 AM

There is a Bradt guide on Uganda but it's a couple of years old. I'm not sure which other publishers have Uganda guides and whether they're any more up to date. The Bradt guide is still very good (I have it), but just keep in mind that costs have changed and accomodations may not be up to date.

All current UWA fees (park entry, activities such as gorilla permits, camping, UWA operated accomodations, etc.) can be found here - http://www.uwa.or.ug/tariffs.htm

If you end up doing some safaris in Uganda, please report back.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 11:43 PM

hi steph,
driving from uganda to amboseli is a very looong journey i would suggest you drive up to nairobi thats just overnight then book a safari with a good tour operator,coz its much cheaper and efficient they would easily get you accomodation at a lower rate.You need a tour driver around the park they know the places in the parks where you get to see most animals plus its more cozy.remember its high season and you need to book much earlier to get acomadation in the lodge you prefer.
all the best
mil